The Senior Engineering Manager will be responsible for supporting Commercial and Industrial (C&I) efficiency programs designed to help end-use customers develop and implement green house gas (GHG) reduction projects and strategies as a consultant to Energy Efficiency Alberta. A primary focus of this work will be to assist business & industrial customers develop and complete construction of custom GHG reduction projects. The Senior Engineering Manager will have substantial responsibility for leading the technical Engineering team's in Alberta focused on evaluation studies, engineering analysis assessments, support of technical assistant consultants, customer outreach, project development, project completion, and both internal and external client satisfaction. This position will be a key leader and contributor to overall GHG program goal achievement and success and will require a close working relationship with non-technical team members. Ability to work with Canadian and US based National Engineering teams to deliver more complex projects and concepts across the company’s portfolio of services will be key to the success in this role. A strong background in Energy Efficiency and/or Green House Gas accounting and reduction strategies is required.
The Senior Engineering Manager will be the Alberta representative leader in the CLEAResult North American Engineering team reporting directly to the Senior Director of Engineering. This key position will work with other CLEAResult Senior Engineering Managers to share resources and develop tools and strategies to overcome common challenges. This position offers high potential for upward mobility as your team becomes highly functioning and able to provide specialized support across all CLEAResult locations.
A Bachelor's degree in Engineering preferred (BSME, BSEE, BSChE, or related) 8+ years of related professional experience in energy engineering consulting, energy services, or utility energy efficiency programs.
- The successful candidate will be a technically strategic partner working closely with senior level CLEAResult program Staff to deliver GHG reduction projects, goals, and strategies.
- Evidence based ability to manage through conflict and find clear path towards solutions related to day to day challenges is specific job requirement.
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM)/Greenhouse Gas Verifier (GHG-V) or equivalent certification is strongly preferred
- Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) license is strongly preferred
- Experienced Senior project and team leadership with technical managers, senior engineers or other senior technical staff
- Experience leading managers, project teams, and technical experts required.
- Evidence of current or former direct management of 10 or more staff required.
- Demonstrated history of successful completed projects
- Experience working with utility providers, systems operators, and/or provincial agencies.
- Support proposals including staffing plans and budget development
- Understand IPMVP for custom projects; strong technical expertise in measurement and verification of energy-efficiency measures
- Strong understanding of data analytics
- Strong technical expertise in energy savings measures and/or green house gas reduction methods and application in utility/provincial programs
- Extensive knowledge of energy-efficiency (EE) technologies, green house gas (GHG) reduction strategies, EE/GHG programs, and policies
- Background in industrial sectors such as wood products manufacturing or petroleum production preferred but not required.
- Understand applicable building codes and federal equipment standards
- Able to develop processes and templates to ensure teams create work efficiently and provides additional value to CLEAResult’s clients
- Work with program and client staff to identify, develop and support energy saving projects on customer sites
- Recommend appropriate energy saving measures in identified projects, including motors, drives, process, HVAC, and other savings measures, as well as lighting
- Quantify savings, costs, and benefits, consistent with program and policy requirements, including the development and implementation of measurement and verification (M&V) plans as necessary, often working with support from and mentoring junior energy engineers
- Ensure internal team and customers and client staff are successful in completing and submitting program incentive applications
- Support and train program team, client, and participant staff to identify energy savings opportunities
- Effectively communicate technical terms and concepts to non-technical staff and partners, and provide education to non-technical internal staff
- Provide technical knowledge base to explain complex energy issues to internal as well as external parties
- Examine and identify areas of opportunity to increase energy efficiency utilizing new or existing technologies, provide creative market transformation ideas, and/or innovative implementation strategies
- Utilize effective writing and verbal skills to support entire program team to deliver the target energy savings to meet our clients' goals
- Manage your time and tasks to provide accurate deliverables in the specified time frame
- Report concerns and issues to management in a timely manner
- Use experience and judgment to proactively provide suggestions and guidance to the program team to optimize program success
Additional Job Description
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) in Engineering and BSME, BSEE, BSARCHE, CEM preferred
- 10+ years related experience in consulting engineering, energy services, and/or utility energy efficiency programs
- Extensive knowledge of energy-efficiency technologies, programs and policies
- Expertise in energy use analysis and energy auditing
- Experience developing and reviewing M&V plans and performing M&V activities
- Experience with GHG reduction planning, strategies, and methodologies a plus