At BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada Inc. we are committed to excellence in every business initiative. BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada (BWXT NEC) has achieved an enviable international reputation for excellence in the supply of nuclear fuel and fuel handling systems and service for CANDU reactors in both domestic and international markets. Our success is the result of our commitment to our employees, customers, quality & EHS initiatives.
We are currently recruiting for a Tooling Designer for our Peterborough, ON location.
At BWXT NEC, you will work on technically challenging projects as a member of the Fuel Handling mechanical engineering team. You will be responsible for the design of mechanical equipment and systems for CANDU reactors. Projects will involve you in the design, development and test of mechanical equipment for automated and semi-automated fuelling machines, robotic systems, and maintenance tooling for CANDU reactors and related systems. There is also opportunity to work on site assignment at one of the nuclear power plants in Ontario.
- Provide execution of design/analysis/test/commissioning of complex equipment and systems throughout the entire product life cycle.
- Use of 3D CAD software to prepare tooling and fixturing for moving, lifting and manipulating of Fuel Handling equipment assemblies. Member sizing, loading/stress assessments, preparing manufacturing and proof test plans to carry out work in the shop. Use of SolidWorks CAD package preferred.
- Interface with machine shop and manufacturing personnel.
- Preparation or approval of design documentation, technical specifications, applicable codes & standards, development and test plans, and engineering quotations.
- Application of design for manufacturability/assembly (DFMA) techniques.
- Ensure designs comply with applicable company, technical, and regulatory standards.
- Participate on teams assigned to address specific organizational initiatives and continuous improvement efforts.
- Adhere to on-time/on-budget criteria associated with project commitments and customer success.
- Prepare and present technical data to internal and external customers.
- Provide technical support to Sales and Marketing personnel in the pursuit of new business opportunities.
- Mechanical Engineering Diploma or Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering Degree.
- Minimum 10 years experience in mechanical tooling/fixturing design in a manufacturing environment with modern technology. Strong preference given to relevant Nuclear Industry experience particularly related to machine, mechanism and tooling design: RFR tooling, DT/RT tooling, platforms, SFCR tools, etc.
- Working experience related to welding process and welded joints: ASME Sec. IX or CSA W59.
- Working experience with bolted connections: sizing, materials, stress limitations, etc.
- Flexibility to work remotely on short-term customer site assignment.
- Proficiency in SolidWorks or Inventor solid modeling software.
- Knowledge of machine design for oil & gas, mining or power generation industries.
- Experience in use of Six Sigma and Lean tools.
- PEO certified Professional Engineer, or in process of obtaining.
- Knowledge in the application of ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (Section III and VIII), ASME B31.1, B31.3, CSA N285.0, CSA B51.
- Knowledge of the jurisdictional processes for pressure vessels (TSSA, CNSC).
- Project management and controls training or exposure to same.
BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada Inc. embraces diversity of thought, values individuality, encourages new perspectives and provides equal opportunity in employment for all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability, a conviction for which a pardon has been granted or a record suspended or any other category protected by federal law.