At BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada Inc. (BWXT NEC) we are committed to excellence in every business initiative. BWXT NEC has achieved an enviable international reputation for excellence in the supply of nuclear fuel and fuel handling systems and service for CANDU reactors in both domestic and international markets. Our success is the result of our commitment to our employees, customers, quality & EHS initiatives.
We are currently recruiting for a Systems Engineer for our Peterborough, Ontario location.
Check out the YouTube video of an innovative product we recently designed and manufactured in partnership with Bruce Power, called the Bruce Reactor Inspection and Maintenance System Channel Access Device. Go to YouTube and search for video: “Bruce Unveils new BRIMS Tool”.
At BWXT NEC Nuclear Services, you will work on technically challenging projects as a member of the Systems Engineering team in support of on-power refueling systems for CANDU reactors. You will be immersed in the design, development and test of multi-disciplinary projects related to automated and semi-automated fuelling machines, robotic systems, and maintenance tooling for CANDU reactors and other related systems. Systems engineers participate at the initial stages of project development with a strong focus on requirement development, compliance and traceability. Systems Engineering work focuses on integration of mechanical, electrical instruments and software to achieve turnkey product solutions for our customers. You will execute in a close collaborative environment with other engineering disciplines on continually and rapidly evolving designs. This opportunity will test your ability to lead both technically and procedurally. There are also opportunities to work on site assignment at one (or more) of the nuclear power plants in Ontario as part of long term placement, or short term outage support.
If you see yourself in a challenging, rewarding career at an extremely diverse, technology-driven company, this is the perfect place. BWXT’s supportive environment and free flow of information will encourage you to imagine, build, solve and lead.
Coordinate the design activities for a project (or proposal) throughout its lifecycle for safety and non-safety related systems for specific application within the nuclear industry.
Responsibilities of the engineer performing this role include setting the technical direction for the overall project and acting as the main technical interface point to both internal and external customers. Specific responsibilities and accountabilities include:
- Define and manage system-level design requirements with the use of formal management tools (Req. Pro, Quality Center, DOORS).
- Define and manage interfaces and scope between discipline specific design areas (mechanical, I&C and software).
- Provide leadership and direction of design activities in conjunction with the technical counselors.
- Prepare and verify system-level design documentation.
- Make technical decisions on trade-offs and alternative solutions ensuring that they meet the contractual requirements for the project.
- Develop testing/verification & validation strategies, plans, procedures, and reports to fulfill requirements traceability.
- Perform hazard/safety assessments.
- Construct design FMEA in conjunction with the design team.
- Provide technical oversight in a unionized testing environment.
- Provide technical oversight of and interface to equipment suppliers.
- Lead and participate in troubleshooting investigations to support system failures on site.
PROCESS & PROCEDURES:
- Work efficiently within Business Management Structure to ensure compliance of design and supply projects.
- Work within the customer’s engineering change control process to successfully deliver products for customer success.
- Determine and document project deliverables, methods and limitations.
- Conduct Design Reviews as required during the project lifecycle.
- Conduct functional test/FAT as required.
- Support the project manager and multi-functional design to manage scheduled tasks.
- Maintain systems engineering tools and best practices and educate other engineering disciplines on these.
DO YOU QUALIFY? WE ARE SEEKING:
- Min 5 years’ experience in design engineering.
- Holds a current PEO license.
- Experience with a broad range of interdisciplinary activities: systems design, requirements development, interface design, systems integration and test, RAM&S.
- Exposure to a broad range of interdisciplinary departments: mechanical, I&C, software design and manufacturing.
- Adept with process control systems (e.g. PLCs).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, understandable by a diverse audience.
- Creative problem-solving skills, outstanding analytical abilities, demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to work in a team.
- Flexibility to work remotely on short-term customer site assignment.
- Most importantly…. creative and innovative thinkers!
BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada Inc. embraces diversity of thought, values individuality, encourages new perspectives and provides equal opportunity in employment for all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability, a conviction for which a pardon has been granted or a record suspended or any other category protected by federal law.