Reports to: Head of School/Principal
Compensation: Dependant upon experience
Location: Victoria, Canada
Travel required: Possible visits to other Brookes campus
This position is for a Human Resources Manager who can implement, administer and support various human resources initiatives, processes and practices at Brookes Shawnigan Lake and Brookes Westshore to plan, grow and support a healthy and positive school culture. This involves focusing on initiatives to attract, select, orient, develop, motivate, engage and retain staff at Brookes Shawnigan Lake and Brookes Westshore. This position also maintains a proactive approach to solving potential HR concerns before they become prominent issues.
As the primary HR lead and resource, you will focus on:
- Providing support and guidance to the CEO of Brookes Education Group and Head of School relating to human resources matters including policy interpretation and HR program and service related matters;
- Collaborating with the Senior Leadership Team in the recruitment and selection process of all new hires, including the creation of job postings;
- Assisting with the recruitment process by posting vacancies, scheduling interview committees, screening resumes and applicants, participating in interviews as required and conducting reference checks;
- Coordinating on and off-boarding activities;
- Maintaining employee files for HR and Professional certifications;
- Ensuring up-to-date and complete record keeping while maintaining the security and confidentiality of the personnel files;
- Managing, implementing and supporting key HR programs including employee orientation, employee engagement, performance management, learning and development and termination/resignation practices;
- Tracking all staff training and development activities;
- Ensuring the consistent and fair application of HR policies, programs and practices while certifying compliance with all applicable employment-related legislation;
- Directing any leave of absence programs and collaborating with other staff, third-party agencies and insurers to ensure effective claims management and appropriate programs are implemented
- Ensuring compliance with WorkSafeBC and other relevant safety act regulations as well as Brookes health and safety policies and procedures, by providing necessary policy development, training, communication and leadership to ensure a safe and healthy workplace;
- Participating on the Safety Committee as the WorkSafeBC liaison;
- Ensuring all HR issues are resolved in a timely manner and performing incident and/or accident investigations, as needed;
- Ensuring Employee related school policies guided and required by the BC Ministry of Education and BC Employment standards are updated and disbursed amongst relevant staff;
- Collaborating with the Senior Leadership Team in the creation of salary scales for all staff;
- Reviewing all compensation-related programs including conducting regular market analysis and identifies opportunities to alter current benefit and retention programs to further support the retention efforts of Brookes;
- Maintaining electronic files and records utilizing spreadsheets and databases including the payroll databases, and benefits carrier databases;
- Processing required documents for benefits needed by payroll administrator and the benefit providers to ensure accurate record keeping and proper deductions for enrolment and changes;
- Responding to employee enquiries regarding compensation, benefits and policies;
- Drafting all HR-related communications, preparing correspondence and presentation materials;
- Participating in projects by gathering and synthesizing information; and
- Performing other duties in the department (i.e. payroll) and for the School, as assigned.
- A university degree in a related field, demonstrated commitment to lifelong learning supplemented by 5 years experience within a medium organization.
- Thorough knowledge and expertise in the areas of recruiting, attendance support, disability management, medical accommodations and return to work.
- Knowledge of applicable legislation and case law.
- Coaching, facilitation, training and communication skills; as well as a high degree of discretion when dealing with sensitive information.
- The ability to compile and analyze data.
- Excellent computer skills including experience working in google docs, excel, database software and word files
- Understanding and ability to work with software technology, and to make recommendations in system improvements
- Ability to provide positive guidance in a team environment
- Commitment to maintaining excellent communications with all stakeholders , both internal and external
- Ability to present ideas confidently in presentations and writing.
- This is a full-time position. Hours of work may vary and exceed 40 hours/week from time to time
- Fast paced environment, with multiple project work and frequent changing of priorities
- Multicultural focus
- Small learning community with shared responsibilities across departments.
Please indicate your interest with the submission of a cover letter and resume highlighting your qualifications for and explaining your specific interest this position by Aug 2, 2018.
Only those qualified for the position will be selected for an interview. Position to begin mid-August.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent