**************Please note that location for this job is Edmonton*****************
We are looking for a Database Administrator to perform big data database administration, Linux system administration, and Hadoop installation, configuration, management, and support within an enterprise data lake environment.
General Responsibilities (any or all):
- Perform Linux system administration, such as: Install, remove and update packages; Create, delete and modify users and groups; Manage file system permissions for users and groups; Write shell or other scripts to perform routine system admin tasks.
- Database administration, design and implementation, software installation and configuration, database backup and recovery, database connectivity and security.
- Install DBMS software and other software on bare metal /single-tenant physical servers, as well as in virtual and cloud environments.
- Install and configure relevant components of the Hadoop ecosystem. Examples: Apache YARN, MapReduce, HDFS, Hive, Zookeeper, Pig, Spark, Zeppelin, Atlas, Kerberos, Ranger, etc.
- Install, administer, and support Linux and Windows operating systems in an enterprise environment.
- Perform setup, configuration, and security for the Hadoop cluster including integration with Microsoft Active Directory (AD).
- Monitor Hadoop cluster connectivity and performance.
- Manage and analyze Hadoop log files, optimize Hadoop services allocation for memory and CPU cores as well as garbage collection optimization.
- HDFS support and maintenance. File system management and monitoring. Provide file system services (file structure, access, sharing, quotas and security rights).
- Develop and document best practices.
- Set up new Hadoop users through integration with AD User and Groups.
- Apply roles, security, data management via tools such as Ranger and Atlas.
- Promote processes and structures to production. as well as help set up security policies through Apache Ranger.
- Manage and administer Hadoop infrastructure on Linux Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 7.x.
- Adhere to existing Government of Alberta established policies, procedures, standards, guidelines and practices.
- Establish proper communications with clients, vendors, and internal support groups.
- Provide required technical assistance and consultation to internal technical teams as well as other ministries, as needed.
- Establish and operate control processes including schedule management, status reporting, issues, and risk mitigation.
- Work on multiple projects concurrently.
- Work on projects spanning multiple technical environments and tools.
- Produce deliverables within specified quality standards and timelines.\
- Ensure relevant knowledge transfer in written and/or verbal form, as requested by the client.
- Ensure delivery processes are robust, of high quality and repeatable
- Identify and escalate issues and risks, as appropriate.
- Code, test, and document related script modifications.
- Plan and test software upgrades, updates, and patches.
- Disaster recovery preparation and testing.
- Develop and maintain technical documentation.
- Develop and automate system related procedures.
- Perform problem diagnosis, troubleshooting, and resolution.
- Monitor ongoing operations and perform ongoing system administration tasks, e.g. release new versions; database tuning; capacity planning; historical archiving; database consistency and integrity checking; log file analysis; job scheduling; shell scripting; change control; and server requirements analysis.
- Log and validate database change requests (both data fixes and schema changes) and execute those change requests.
- Assist project teams with database designs with regard to performance and standards.
Type - Long Term Contract
Job Type: Contract
- Big Data Administration: 5 years