Boast helps companies in the US and Canada automate the complicated process of claiming R&D incentives from the government. Some of the tax programs we work with include US R&D Tax Credits, Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED), and Interactive Digital Media Tax Credits (IDMTC).
While the US and Canadian governments provide more than $10 billion in R&D incentives each year, the qualification criteria are confusing, the documentation requirements are onerous, and the claim preparation process is tedious.
Boast takes over this burden and manages the entire claim process, so our clients can focus on building their businesses instead of chasing R&D credits.
Our software connects with a company s existing systems such as JIRA, GitHub, Asana, Slack, Basecamp, Email, Payroll etc. and identifies the necessary documentation to support R&D tax claims. Our in-house engineers and CPAs review this data on an ongoing basis and prepare claims proactively throughout the year. This approach combining software and experts ensures that the R&D tax claims are maximized and are defensible in the event of a government audit.
We are based in San Francisco, Vancouver, and Calgary. We re currently looking for a Technology Advisor for our Calgary office.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Manage concurrent R&D tax credit claims for a portfolio of clients in a variety of industries and sizes, in both Canada and the US
- Become an expert on the US and Canadian R&D tax programs
- Interview client staff and review development documentation to identify projects that qualify for R&D tax credit programs
- Gather technical and financial information, perform due diligence of work and costs to be claimed, and prepare all necessary documentation for R&D tax claim submission
- Support clients in scientific and financial reviews conducted by the IRS and CRA
- Maintain regular communications with clients keep them informed on the status of their claim as well as any updates to the R&D tax program
- Plan and complete client engagements on time and within budget
- Pro-actively assist clients throughout the year by reviewing existing processes and documentation, and developing robust processes to track eligible activities
- Actively participate in peer review of client communication and external documentation, developing professional judgment in response to peer feedback and providing appropriate input to peers
Skills and qualifications:
- University degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field
- 5+ years of software development experience in progressive roles with increasing responsibility for feature ownership, product management and/or client interaction. Direct product management experience is an asset
- Experience translating technical information into non-technical language
- Ability to synthesize disparate sources of information into a cohesive narrative
- High level of professionalism with outstanding ability to work effectively and efficiently with external client personnel at all levels of management
- Excellent time management skills as well as the ability to work independently and handle multiple client projects simultaneously
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to capture an audience during a presentation.
- Previous experience with US R&D tax, SR&ED and/or other technology grants a plus
- Experience with office productivity tools
- Energy, passion, humor, compassion, and enthusiasm
Commensurate with experience.
Job Type: Full-time
- software development: 3 years
- Computer Sci/ Eng, Electrical Eng or related field