The BMO Digital Channels department is continuing on the roadmap to strengthen and optimize its delivery operations to continue improving the digital experience of our customers. We are re-platforming and extending our frameworks for BMO.com and BMOHarris.com, and these frameworks are the foundation of our new digital delivery.
Reporting to a Sr. Manager within Digital Development, the Web and Full-stack Development Lead will be responsible for designing, developing and maintaining parts of the full-stack framework solutions that BMO's public websites are built from. The individual will collaborate with other developers, quality assurance testers, scrum masters, designers, content strategists, digital managers, technology partners, and internal and external partners to facilitate the technical solutions and development of automation and web site frameworks. They will be part of a foundational team supporting the digital marketing work for BMO.com, BMOHarris.com and other BMO web applications, operating in an agile environment, driving modern delivery practices and innovative technologies.
- Assesses impact of design decisions to the computer solution/product/service being developed (performance, schedule, budget, downstream component/system impact, quality, etc.) and recommends alternate/creative solutions for mitigation/optimization if required.
- Strong leadership and support of agile development team via coaching, detailed code-reviews, training and development, and provides feedback in a constructive manner.
- Interacts with key business & technology stakeholders to define, analyze, and deliver requirements that reflect the needs of both the business and end-customers
- Designs solutions, writes code, performs unit and acceptance testing, develops appropriate artefacts / documentation, and facilitates final delivery with little to no guidance required
- Conceives and writes detailed software implementations/code while ensuring that their code/configurations adhere to the security, logging, error handling, and performance standards and non-functional requirements
- Builds solutions that are maintainable, scalable and achieve our aspiration of common assets, use the enterprise monitoring/logging, require minimal to zero maintenance and are aligned with architectural patterns and technology strategies
- Automation of approaches to streamline and integrates technological processes and/or systems to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Supports production issues, including independently completes root-cause analysis and diagnosis
- Innovation towards use of emerging technologies for fit with the program/system/eco-system and the associated upstream and downstream impacts on process, data, risk (e.g., security).
- Makes recommendations to improve BMO processes & systems.
- Identifies opportunities to strengthen the capability at BMO, such as: sharing expertise to promote technical development, mentoring employees, building communities of practice and networks across technology.
- Stays abreast of industry technical and business trends through participation in professional associations, practice communities & individual learning
- Leads ongoing peer coaching and idea sharing, promotes innovation within their team
- Ensures SEO, Accessibility front-end development best practices are implemented on all components and templates
- Ensures web analytics specifications are implemented for tracking and reporting
Knowledge and Skills:
- Minimum 5 years of work experience in an agile digital product development environment and BSc. or MBA/MS in computer science, engineering, information technology
- Advanced level of knowledge in digital full stack development, including:
Semantic HTML validated W3C
CSS and a CSS pre-processor such as SASS or LESS
Responsive Web Design, mobile-first UI
WCAG 2.0/2.1 and AODA requirements for Web accessibility
Test-Driven Development (TDD) with Mocha, Chai, Jasmine, Karma, Jest
REST API Python scripting experience,
Git version control and Gitflow branching strategy
Object-Oriented programming (OOP)
Web Information Security (XSS, Reflected XSS, CSRF, SQL injection)
REST API services experience and deep knowledge
DevOps build and automation tools (AWS, Docker, Jenkins, Kubernetes)
Debugging and troubleshooting for front-end SPA applications
Web Page Performance monitoring and optimization skills
Implementation experience for web analytics, SEO, integration of external vendor solutions
- Strong technical leadership with small to large teams of developers, QA
- Strong mentoring/coaching of junior, intermediate and senior developers via pair programming, run training sessions, onboarding, and team presentations
- Documentation of applications for technical design, maintainability
- Participation in governance for team processes
- Leadership and team collaboration strengths with agile teams
- Positive, energetic and a can-do attitude with the ability to work amiably in an agile team
- Desire and ability to learn and improve themselves and peers on an ongoing basis
- Proactive and takes ownership of the product and their role
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills are a must
- Organization and able to maintain focus with multiple tasks
Location: 55 Bloor St. W. (Bay & Bloor area)
We’re here to help
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do – helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future—the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we’re changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.