Provide leadership and guidance for developing and executing goals and objectives regarding employee performance, business delivery and operational effectiveness, internal business partner and external customer relationship management, change and innovation and risk management and control, within the context of the approved business strategy.
Accountable for the overall planning, leadership and direction of a business unit made up of several teams across multiple regions, requiring regular travel. Support the Managing Director with involvement in strategic projects, enterprise initiatives, and other priorities as required, including driving operational effectiveness and contributing to the development and implementation of improved controls and processes.
This role acts as primary contact for Product Operations (PO) senior management/executive in the joint development and implementation of business unit-specific strategies and/or major project deliverables by providing specific leadership relative to the area(s) of expertise. Translate business strategy plans into concrete deliverables that can be implemented and deployed within the line of business (LOB). This role will meet strategic, operational and financial objectives within a twelve- to twenty-four-month time horizon.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
A. M anagerial Leadership
B. P roduct & Process Management
C. Financial Management
D. Business Performance Management
E. Change Management
F. Risk & Control
A. Managerial Leadership
- Provide overall planning, leadership and direction to a functional area comprising multiple teams of employees by setting the context and direction, defining accountabilities, tasks and assignments, and establishing boundaries for decision-making and approvals.
- Establish and maintain managerial practices (e.g., creating a collaborative environment) that build a high performance work environment within and across teams.
- Develop and sustain an effective multi-level business unit; ensure the quality of effective managerial leadership practices of reporting managers; conduct talent pool assessment with reporting managers on the capability of their staff; and hold mentoring discussions with, and hear requests from, employees.
- Recommend or approve job and pay grades for staff within authorized limits.
- Decide on cross-functional working relationships (within the business unit and in collaboration with other business unit managers across groups).
- Verify that all managerial administration is executed fairly, professionally and in a timely manner.
- Ensure measurable, quantitative team training and development strategies that accelerate the performance of the team and individual are in place.
- Build, develop and maintain effective relationships with internal business partners/ external customers/ stakeholders for the purposes of enhancing team effectiveness.
B. Product & Process Management
- Recommend service level agreement (SLA) and/or business partner agreement (BPA) requirements with appropriate LOB and other stakeholders, as required.
- Act as the escalation point for critical business issues, bringing recurring situations to the senior manager/ PO executive attention, as needed.
- Understand business unit/PO/enterprise-wide strategies and support the senior manager/PO executive in developing specific plans to ensure systems/ processes applicable to the area of service remain current in order to provide superior service levels to internal business partners and external customers.
- Partner with internal business partners and other PO teams regarding new product development as appropriate
- Partner with internal business partners to meet service delivery expectations.
- Provide professional/ technical advice and counsel to internal business partners and PO colleagues.
- Manage quality and continuous improvement of existing processes.
- Ensure a sound understanding of current industry events/ trends, and establish relationships with regulatory/ industry contacts.
C. Financial Management
- Ensure the team is meeting standards and SLA and/or BPA requirements.
- Verify cost-effectiveness of all activities and continuously seek productivity and cost-reduction initiatives.
- Hold employees accountable to positively influence the business unit’s financial performance.
D. Business Performance Management
- Lead multiple teams in the delivery of exceptional customer service that builds trust through responsive, accurate, consistent, knowledgeable and available services and support.
- Monitor and manage changing team business requirements and SLA and/or BPA quality measure performance, and escalate issues as appropriate.
- Develop and implement team financial and operational performance measures, providing reports and presentations, as appropriate.
- Manage effective working relationships with key business partners/ suppliers and service providers.
- Provide consultative support to internal business partners and customers, directly or indirectly, utilizing strong operational knowledge.
- Manage costs to a favourable trend with no adverse impact on quality, customers or employees, utilizing strong working knowledge of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and the business unit’s drivers associated with its processes/ functions. Analyze trends and communicate results to employees and management. Forecast and action a plan to effectively manage costs.
- Execute business unit tactical business plans and ensure change to meet the business’s current year challenges.
- Align individual performance goals to team and organizational goals.
- Demonstrate behaviours that are consistent with “Our Way” model and aligned with BMO values.
E. Change Management
- Develop proactive strategies and objectives specific to relative area(s) of expertise and assist senior manager in developing overall business strategies (both shorter- and longer-term).
- Maintain an awareness and understanding of relevant industry trends, best PO practices and issues and their potential impact, and formulate an appropriate direction, where required.
- Develop shorter-term strategic direction for the business unit and assist in the development of longer-term business unit strategies in order to support PO/ T&O/ enterprise-wide business direction and objectives.
- Take a lead role in projects/ task forces, as a key resource/ advisor, in support of major and most critical PO/ LOB/ enterprise-wide initiatives.
- Develop and implement change management plans to execute continuous improvement and other initiatives in support of the business strategy.
- Model and lead change; effectively prepare team for change.
- Foster an environment of continuous improvement, and encourage the team to identify process improvements/ new ideas and adopt best practices.
F. Risk & Control
- Interpret standards and targets of a risk management framework, applying them to the activities of the teams within the business unit.
- Manage and refine risk approaches within the function/ process or related functions/ processes by ensuring required policies, processes and controls are implemented and adhered to. Apply risk mitigation and management methods.
- Verify adherence to business unit policies and procedures (P&Ps) by all team members.
- Verify the existence and soundness of contingency planning to support the business and maintain continuity of critical processes throughout a contingency event.
- Ensure the identification of business unit control risks and gaps, ensure appropriate action plans are in place to address the risk and escalate to appropriate parties.
- Assess and manage production/ processing situations to mitigate risks and exposures for the purpose of providing corrections and solutions on deficiencies in process and control.
- Ensure managers understand risks inherent in the business unit and ensure appropriate actions, including accuracy and safeguarding of all documentation, and any other requirements to ensure operational integrity is maintained within the business.
- Ensure managers understand regulatory and compliance requirements as prescribed for the business unit, and provide recommendations and implement actions to ensure adherence as required.
- Ensure business unit procedures/ standards are documented, reviewed regularly and updated as needed to prevent losses and avoid unnecessary expenses.
- Ensure all business unit and Bank regulatory and compliance requirements are met, including attestations.
- Ensure adherence to all aspects of FirstPrinciples, Our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics Corporate Policy, as well as all applicable legislation, regulatory rules and requirements, and Bank standards, P&Ps for such things as potential conflicts of interest, safeguarding of customer information, trading in securities, anti-money laundering, privacy and disclosure of outside business activities.
- Ensure strict confidentiality is maintained for both customer and Bank information to protect the customer and the Bank and to ensure compliance with Bank P&Ps.
- Follow security and safeguarding procedures and apply appropriate due diligence in accordance with Bank policy for the prevention of loss due to such things as fraud or defalcation.
- Manage risk and minimize losses through monitoring and controlling various reports and taking appropriate action, ensuring compliance requirements, audits and verifications are completed in accordance with Bank P&Ps.
- University degree/college diploma or equivalent work experience
- 10+ years of related experience (financial, accounting, and/or lending experience an asset)
- 5 to 7 years of management experience, with demonstrated change management experience
- Knowledge of standard desktop applications used by the business unit and ability to quickly understand complex systems
- Expert knowledge and understanding of the business unit’s key products and services, processes and controls
- Expert understanding of the business unit’s risk and regulatory requirements
- Advanced knowledge of the business unit’s transaction fulfillment procedures
- Advanced knowledge of departmental systems and applications
- Advanced knowledge of process and/or project management
- Advanced understanding of external customers’ business, services and organization
- Advanced managerial leadership skills
- Expert change management skills
- Expert problem-solving skills
- Advanced decision-making skills
- Advanced analytical skills
- Advanced prioritization skills
- Advanced customer service and relationship management skills
- Advanced risk management skills
- Advanced planning skills (finance, resource, strategy, business)
- Solid negotiation skills
- Advanced conflict management/resolution skills
- Strong facilitation/presentation skills
- Advanced written and oral communication skills
We’re here to help
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do – helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future—the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we’re changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.