Serving customers for over 200 years, BMO Financial Group is a highly diversified
financial services provider – the 8 th largest bank, by assets, in North America. With total assets of $765 billion as of July 31, 2018, and a team of diverse and highly engaged employees, BMO provides a broad range of personal and commercial banking, wealth management and investment banking products and services to more than 12 million customers and conducts business through three operating groups: Personal and Commercial Banking, BMO Wealth Management and BMO Capital Markets.
BMO’s Marketing and Strategy group sets the overall strategic direction for BMO at the enterprise and operating group levels and manages how we position our brand and bring it to life through marketing executions. The group includes the bank’s centre of expertise in strategy, brand, customer analytics, customer experience, social media, sponsorships, creative services and events as well as marketing teams with broad customer segment expertise aligned to Personal, Wealth, Commercial and Institutional customer needs.
The Office of the Head of Strategy and Marketing includes a small team that provides business management and communication support to the Head of Strategy and Marketing and the Marketing and Strategy group as a whole and is looking for a Senior Manager, Communications to join our team.
Reporting to the Director and Chief of Staff, Marketing and Strategy, the Senior Manager, Communications will be responsible for the following areas:
- Leading the development and execution of communications strategies to engage internal and external stakeholders, partners, clients, and employees in support of bank and marketing and strategy group priorities and objectives, demonstrating we are executing on our strategy and delivering on our priorities
- Identify internal communications opportunities to support business and marketing priorities, employee engagement and change management
- Identifying external communications opportunities to support business priorities, executive profile-building and overall reputation, including traditional and social media as well as thought leadership
- Building effective working relationships with key stakeholders including: colleagues within Marketing and Strategy; stakeholders within Communications group; and BMO communications professionals across the bank among others
A: Communications Strategy and Planning (50%)
- Determine strategic communications programming to support Marketing and Strategy priorities and/or key initiatives, foster employee engagement, drive change management
- Know and understand stakeholder needs and dynamics, and use this information to inform strategic communications planning and execution
- Proactively source content from multiple sources as the basis for various communications materials, leadership messages, townhall meetings, internal and external blogs, videos, presentations, social media posts, speeches, panel discussions, employee recognition, etc.
- Develop and secure necessary approvals to implement communications strategies and plans and ensure compliance with bank policies and procedures as well as standards for corporate communications
- Measure, analyze and report on the performance of a variety of communications initiatives and make recommendations for improvements based on insights, best practices and business objectives
B: Execution and Delivery (50%)
- Develop and implement day-to-day communications focused on supporting the Head of Marketing and Strategy and the Marketing and Strategy group, including communications strategies, message development, coaching and counsel, vehicle selection, writing and editorial services, production, and distribution
- Ensure appropriate coordination and consolidation across initiatives and communications programs, including clarity and conciseness of all communications in both official languages
- Champion a ‘straight-talk’ communications style that promotes transparency and is reflected in speaking points, leadership messages, speeches and briefing documents
- Build and introduce new communication vehicles, as appropriate
- 10+ years corporate communications experience (internal and external communications)
- 5+ years in a senior communications capacity in a large, matrixed organization
- Proven experience working with senior executives providing communications strategy and execution
- Previous experience in financial services industry preferred
- Degree or post-graduate diploma in communications required, an MBA or graduate degree in communications is an asset
- Bilingual – English and French – is an asset
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do – helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future—the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we’re changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.