Reporting to the Senior Manager, Strategy, Financial Planning & Analytics, this role is accountable for providing senior stakeholders in Capital Markets Finance and the Capital Markets Operating Group with proactive, creative solutions and analysis in support of strategy development and financial planning
The Senior Analyst, Strategy, Financial Planning & Analytics is responsible for preparation of the annual financial and business plans, and monthly / quarterly forecasts for the Capital Markets Operating Group. The Senior Analyst also provides strategic financial support to the line of business leaders to assist them with the development of their financial strategies to ensure overall financial performance.
The Senior Analyst is responsible for the coordination of the Operating Group financial forecasts and plan consolidation. This includes preparation and monitoring of supporting analytics that assesses opportunities, risks and challenges, and providing financial performance insights that will assist leaders with the development of their Operating Group financial strategies
This role is also accountable as liaison between Capital Markets Finance and Corporate Finance functions to ensure alignment between Operating Group and Enterprise planning, strategy and forecasting processes
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Business Delivery & Operational Effectiveness
- Risk Management and Control
- Managerial Leadership
- Client & Relationship Management
- Change & Innovation
Business Delivery & Operational Effectiveness
- Support all aspects of financial planning & forecasting, including but not limited to leading and coordinating the annual planning cycle for P&L, Balance Sheet and Capital; monthly and quarterly forecasting process, including consolidation and analytics models
- Consolidate the collection of data and business drivers used in the annual development plan, quarterly forecasts and outlook to provide forward-looking analysis and highlight successes and/or issues and recommend solutions, where appropriate
- Structure the development of plan / forecast modelling tools and the analysis and review of results to promote critical examination of business group opportunities for efficiencies, cost effectiveness, and profit improvement.
- Review individual LOB plans, growth metrics, assumptions to ensure integrity and reasonableness of LOB plans/forecasts
- Ensure business plans and forecast submissions correctly incorporate all organizational and project changes and reflect changes in the internal and external business environments.
- Understand relation of initiatives to LOB plan including planning, forecasting and analysis of monthly, quarterly and annual results by obtaining an understanding of key drivers of performance relative to internal and external targets/expectations
- Participate in quarterly reporting and analysis processes if needed
- Build strong relationships with LOBs and other areas in BMO and provide advice to the CFO, CM to ensure needs, goals and strategies are understood and aligned to corporate financial strategies, plans and programs
- Preparation of both formal and informal reports and analysis for senior executives, and others as required to support strategic objectives and decision making.
- Lead or participate in project teams as required for new initiatives, process improvements to support strategic decision making
Risk Management and Control
- Review financial forecast and plan information for reasonableness and flag areas of interest to Capital Market Finance leaders to ensure results are understood and opportunities and areas of concern are properly addressed in a timely manner.
- Develop and financial best practices and process improvements for financial reporting and planning to include but not limited to planning & forecasting
- Ensure compliance with financial corporate governance requirements including policies, procedures, reporting requirements, performance metrics and internal controls
- Provide support to financial governance teams, and internal / external auditors as required
- Display and encourage appropriate high performance behaviours to ensure behaviours in the group are congruent with the Being BMO
- Build, develop and maintain effective relationships with internal business partners/ external customers/ stakeholders for the purposes of enhancing team effectiveness
- Participate in developing and tracking of Strategy, Planning & Forecasting team objectives
Client & Relationship Management
- Build strong relationships with Capital Markets Finance teams and business partners (HR, Risk, Marketing, Strategy and Business Management, etc..) and provide value-add advice to ensure that the business/function financial needs, goals and strategies are understood and incorporated into financial strategies, plans, forecasts and initiatives
- Work collaboratively with the business and functional partners across BMO Financial Group to resolve issues and solve problems, ensuring solutions are consistent, aligned and supportive of business and organizational goals
- Act as a finance subject matter expert as required to support the design, development and implementation of initiatives/projects, understanding the requirements of the business/function within the overall group strategy
Change & Innovation
- Partner with all stakeholders to ensure a continuous improvement mindset toward process streamlining and increase efficiency
- Identify and recommend improvements and opportunities to senior stakeholders and management related to area(s) of expertise
- Maintain an awareness of best practices to improve/refine processes that may increase productivity and/or correct any deficiencies.
- Provide analysis of results and identify critical information for productivity initiatives
- Undergraduate degree with one or more of: CPA, CFA or MBA
- 2-4 years of financial management experience, preferably in a large financial institution, including forecasting, planning, variance reporting, driver-based analysis
- Possess advanced knowledge of design and analysis methodologies to work in an agile development environment
- Strong knowledge of MS Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word). Knowledge of Bank financial systems (Insight, Progress, BPC, FC) would be an asset
- Knowledge of Capital Markets industry would be an asset
- If already a BMO employee, demonstrates solid knowledge of BMO’s vision, mission, and strategy, and understanding of BMO business and financial plan processes
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills, with capability of effectively interacting with senior managers and executives
- Well-developed relationship management skills and an ability to establish conducive working relationships with stakeholders across different business groups, as well as being able to influence/ negotiate with others
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, work independently and establish / manage priorities and multiple tasks without compromising quality
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and ability to interpret results for the business and derive insights
- Strong organizational, documentation, governance , and project management skills and high attention to detail
- Capable of working at a high-level in both an independent and team-based environment
- Professional team player who thrives in a dynamic environment
We’re here to help
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do – helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future—the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we’re changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.