This role is enterprise-wide in scope, reporting to the Chief Sustainability Officer. The role is a sustainability and environmental, social and governance (ESG) subject matter expert accountable for managing BMO’s sustainability performance disclosure, impact measurement and acting as a senior advisor on related strategy.
• Thought leadership and development of sustainability strategies and strategic objectives. Responsible for interpreting external sustainability reporting frameworks and standards (e.g. Global Reporting Initiative, SASB, Integrated Reporting), monitoring trends, evaluating changes/impacts and creating recommendations for enterprise reporting 3-5 years out.
• Monitoring legal and regulatory requirements around sustainability related disclosure and development of disclosure in accordance with those expectations, with the assistance of legal counsel.
• Responsible for managing the content and direction of BMO’s sustainability performance disclosure, including the implementation of identified changes and / or improvements and incorporating best practices. Also includes conducting materiality and stakeholder engagement processes to determine the issues most important to the bank and our stakeholders (identification, prioritization, validation and review).
• Development of public facing statements and policies on sustainability matters
• Development of sustainability and climate change reporting including under the TCFD, GRI and DJSI
• Work with external assurance providers in relation to sustainability reporting
• Develop strategies and operationalization of integrated reporting, with understanding of frameworks such as SASB.
• Leading impact measurement strategy and implementation
• Actively participate in and represent BMO in international industry associations including the Equator Principles and UNEP FI
• Assistance in developing and executing such other sustainability related programs as may be needed
• Manage change and innovation in developing sustainability disclosure and work with contributors on ideas for making content more credible/balanced.
• Responsible for recommending public disclosure with respect to BMO’s Sustainability activities and positioning (e.g., Corporate Responsibility website, relevant press releases).
• Manage relationships with external auditors for limited assurance of selected indicators in the ESG Report and Public Accountability Statement (PAS) which includes the selection process, participation in process interviews, reviewing audit findings/observations presented to management, and addressing findings with impacted areas through change management activities.
• Responsible for managing risk and controls of the Public Accountability Statement through the publication of BMO’s ESG Report and PAS, ensuring all regulatory requirements are met.
• Leads/creates the process of coordinating an enterprise response to information requests from sustainability rating agencies and / or analysts who are assessing BMO’s sustainability performance against other FIs globally (e.g. DJSI, FTSE4Good).
• Working across the enterprise to influence and communicate sustainability initiatives and drive buy-in and awareness
• Manage relationships with internal stakeholders (e.g. LOBs and Corporate Areas) in order to enhance internal awareness of the value of sustainability. This includes providing specialized advice and support to projects and initiatives to ensure that sustainability requirements are built into business processes.
• Manage external / internal stakeholder concerns and requests (e.g. Sustainability mailbox, ad hoc queries) with respect to BMO’s Sustainability activities and position.
• Providing advice and support on ESG related investor and stakeholder relations, in light of international best practice and understanding of market expectations.
• Keep Chief Sustainability Officer apprised of emerging issues and trends related to Sustainability and take initiative to develop and implement sustainability strategies at BMO
• Monitor activities and collaborate with colleagues in Business Groups and operational areas of the enterprise to continually enhance BMO’s Sustainability agenda.
• Develop preliminary drafts of Sustainability communications to stakeholders (internal & external) and see through finalization and implementation.
• Collaborate with personnel across the enterprise including lines of business, LCCG, Corporate Communications, Investor Relations, HR on sustainability related programs or initiatives.
• Build relationships with sustainability rating agencies and / or analysts who are assessing BMO’s sustainability performance against other FIs globally (e.g. DJSI, FTSE4Good).
• Maintain ongoing relationships with colleagues/peers at other North American Financial Institutions to share non-proprietary best practice information.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS :
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Self-starter and motivated
• Ability to work independently with little oversight
• Organized working style
• Ability to deal with ambiguity
• Problem solving abilities
• Results oriented and goal driven
• Politically astute, diplomatic and able to navigate complex corporate and external environment with numerous stakeholders on highly sensitive and controversial topics
• Knowledge of sustainability strategy and disclosure frameworks and best practices
• Experience with sustainability reporting, impact measurement and analytics
• Experience with responsible investing or sustainable finance methodologies and analysis a plus
• Strong change management skills
• Well-developed negotiation skills and ability to influence decision making
• Normal working conditions with regular hours (some additional hours during peak periods)
• Some travel may be required