The Manager, Professional Support leads a team of Support Professionals across the two lines of business, Investment Management and Trust. Their team provides sales support to the Lead Relationship Managers and wealthy clients of BMO Private Banking. This role is accountable to meet all client and professional sales & service needs to support BPB in achieving business goals and delivering the exceptional client experience. This role provides input into the development of the market business strategies and supports the goals of the Lines of Businesses within the market. The Manager, Professional Support plays a leadership role in developing the sales support expertise within the market to support collaborative work relationships among professionals. They encourage a team approach to the wealth planning strategies for their clients and coach their direct reports to identify opportunities to increase share of wallet. The Manager, Professional Support handles the day–to-day operations of the branch (daily/monthly/quarterly reporting, audit, etc.) and maintains compliance oversight over their team.
A strong cross-functional relationship exists with the Manager – Client Care Support, Regional Directors, the Market Manager, Regional Compliance Manager and the Lead Relationship Managers.
- Managerial Leadership
- Business Support
- Client Support
- Operational / Risk Management & Compliance
A. Managerial Leadership
- Set appropriate context and direction for direct reports on the strategic vision within the market, ensuring alignment with the vision for BPB
- Establish a two-way working relationship with direct reports to solicit their views on market opportunities, the working environment, potential changes affecting their work, continuous improvement opportunities, and revisions to the plan
- Build and sustain a team of direct reports who are capable of delivering the performance required for BMO Private Banking, including coaching and the creation and implementation of training, development and career plans
- Establish and optimize team integration by articulating the linkages between the accountabilities and authorities of different roles across the group and by establishing the context in which they will work collaboratively with one another
- Ensure all integrating mechanisms are in place for all sales professionals in order to facilitate team behaviours and the focus on the integrated offers through BPB holistic team approach to every client situation (e.g. internal referrals across all lines of business, wealth planning opportunities within the Enterprise Wealth Planning Group, etc.)
- Apply the Bank’s performance management system to direct reports, including establishing goals and objectives, assessing skilled knowledge gaps, allocating resources to achieve objectives and close gaps, assessing personal effectiveness and key behaviours, and reviewing and recommending base and variable pay
- Develop the sales support skills of direct reports, and monitor the effectiveness of the sales support provided to ensure the desired client experience is being met
- Ensure the effective implementation of Bank initiatives and programs through the establishment of appropriate context and setting of direction for direct reports by providing relevant information, establishing goals, and setting limits with the context and prescribed limits of the Market Manager or the Regional Director, Operations.
- Provide leadership to Support Professionals across a wide geography including multiple branches located in different provinces and jurisdictions.
B. Business Support
- Provide input to the market business development plan to support a collaborative team environment within the market focused on achieving the overall business goals
- Reinforce BPB sales process and client experience, identifying gaps, issues and best practices through the monitoring of sales and performance targets against plans in order to create and sustain a sales environment that ensures consistent superior service to BPB clients and prospects
- Set and monitor alignment of Professionals and Support Professionals within the Market team to maximize talent potential, business growth and maintain cohesive working partnerships.
- Ensure the provision of timely, accurate sales support to Professionals through the completion of a wide variety of investment and banking related activities in order to create and sustain a sales environment that ensures consistent superior service to BPB clients and prospects
- Identify and recommend workflow process alternatives that optimize efficiency and service delivery, and increase team productivity levels for BPB, collaborating with the Market Manager and Regional Directors as required
- Execute implementation and change management plans, in collaboration with the Regional Directors, to support any LOB product or process change
- Act as a subject matter expert for identified systems development projects for both enhancements of existing systems and developments of new systems/processes
- Maintain effective relationships with the Market Manager to build a collaborative working environment that focuses on client needs, the delivery of the desired client experience and increased business development
C. Client Support
- Develop and maintain knowledge and understanding of integrated services and offerings, with a focus on products and procedures, to ensure accurate handling of administrative responsibilities and to ensure accurate communications with both clients and direct reports
- Deepen understanding of our clients and align clients to the right channels; Build a strong Wealth Management brand
- Ensure the provision of timely, accurate service and support to BPB clients and prospects to ensure consistently superior service and the delivery of the desired client experience
- Maintain consistently superior service and operations for clients requiring transactional service and/or are coming for meetings with BPB client team members
- Perform required client sales & service support activities, in exceptional circumstances, as required to meet client needs and maintain overall service levels
- Assess client concerns and escalations, finding creative solutions and assisting the team to implement the necessary corrections while remaining within set limits and authorities
- Identify, record and advise Professionals of any compliance and/or risk management issues
- Coordination with the Manager, Client Care Support to transition work from the Support Professionals to Client Care in order to ensure optimal capacity for the support professionals to provide the desired client experience
D. Operational / Risk Management & Compliance
- Safeguard cash and securities according to procedures to minimize losses
- Monitor expenses to ensure that they are managed according to BMO Policy & Procedures and within prescribed limits
- Monitor operational controls for all LOBs to identify any deficiencies and support the initiation of appropriate corrective actions to ensure controls are adequate
- Monitor completion of Operations Management requirements outlined in Policy & Procedures and other communications to manage risk within acceptable limits
- Model a mindset for continuous improvement, challenging existing, non-value add processes and champion alternatives
- Provide technical and operational support to the team in order to ensure the overall desired client experience
- Respond to questions or resolve issues raised through audits or quality checks; identify and take appropriate action if ongoing performance issues are identified
- Ensure adherence to all aspects of First Principles our code of Business Conduct and Ethics including individual accountability as it relates to potential conflicts of interest, safeguarding of customer information, trading in securities, anti-money laundering, privacy and disclosure of outside business activities
- Follow security and safeguarding procedures and apply appropriate due diligence in accordance with Bank policy for the prevention of loss due to fraud, robbery, counterfeiting, money laundering or defalcation
- Protect the Bank’s assets by adhering to all everyday banking, business banking, investment and lending regulations (as appropriate), Policies and Procedures, legal and ethical requirements, process requirements, bank guidelines and lending process requirements and established risk guidelines
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent job-related experience
- RISR (minimum IFIC completed; CSC preferred & BCO preferred)
- Working knowledge and understanding of banking and investment products and services, monitoring/operational processes
- Advanced knowledge of banking operations and risk/compliance regulations
- Basic knowledge of Bank systems (Customer Connect, Optimizer, Global Plus, etc.)
- Working of personal (primarily) and commercial credit and non-credit products, monitoring/operational processes and applications
- Credit qualified without Limits (trained and permitted to complete such activities as data entry, close loans, set-up and advance loans on loan adjudication systems)
- 5 - 7 years banking/investment or related work experience
- A team player that is client focused
- Strong work ethic, work well under pressure
- Basic technical and computer skills
- Ability to coach others in the execution of standard tasks, change management, and performance management
- Flexible and empathetic, able to work effectively in a variety of situations
- Demonstrated history of responsiveness and problem solving capabilities, ability to find creative solutions
- Organized and be able to work in a multi-dimensional work environment
- Ability to work independently and within a group
- Organized and be able to work in a multi-dimensional work environment
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
We’re here to help
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do – helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future—the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we’re changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com/ .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.