Reporting to the Head of Strategy and Business Operations, the Director of Strategy is a key leadership position that is accountable for defining and executing on strategic initiatives, providing creative solutions to complex strategic challenges, and driving change on behalf of Wealth Management executive team. The incumbent is a key contributor to business strategy development, provides support for new business ventures, and stays current on global wealth management trends and practices in order to sustain the group’s competitive advantage. This role will also be accountable for the project management, coordination, monitoring and tracking of select large-scale strategic initiatives, as well as the management of other smaller-scale projects of a strategic or business consulting nature.
Strategy Development and Execution:
- Leads competitive and analytical assessments to determine approach to strategic choices to and develop / implement appropriate solutions
- Leads the successful design and implementation of major strategic initiatives
- Provides strategic advice to Wealth Management businesses to ensure effective articulation of strategy and build out of the key capabilities
- Leads the annual strategy development process
- Leads the development and execution of competitive intelligence capability and provides thought leadership for LOB, Wealth Management and Enterprise wide strategies and challenges
- Partners with Wealth Management Leadership Team to prioritize and stage existing initiatives
- Collaborates with Wealth Management partners and stakeholders to ensure consistent strategy / key capabilities are leveraged across businesses
- Establishes working relationships with key leaders and stakeholders within business groups and other corporate functions, and effectively communicates key messages and makes recommendations to all managerial levels
- Manages multiple initiatives simultaneously and resolves conflicting priorities and objectives
- Represents the Wealth Management both externally and across the organization
- Provides leadership and strategic direction to team members, setting context and direction, defining accountabilities, tasks and assignments and establishing boundaries for decision-making and approvals
- Identifies enablers and key issues prior to and during implementation, raise issues with key stakeholders and offer solutions
- Ensures that all enterprise governance processes / practices are being managed effectively (e.g. project management standards, business casing, etc.)
- Partners with other areas of the organization and/or external vendors/contracts as required to facilitate the achievement of deliverables and overall objectives
- Provide support and management to COO and Group Head on overall Wealth Management business operations including:
- Agenda development and management for Wealth Management Leadership meetings (Strategy and Operations)
- Plan/design and develop integrated confidential reports and updates on key enterprise-wide strategic initiatives for the COO and Group Head
- Represents Wealth Management interests on various enterprise steering committees and key strategic leadership meetings
- MBA or other Masters level degree preferred
- 10+ years’ business experience, 5+ years in management consulting or other strategy roles with solid knowledge of wealth management industry
- General knowledge of economic, social and political forces and marketplace trends
- Good understanding of the Bank’s financial systems and structure
Superior communication skills, both verbal and written
Strong leadership skills focused on leading interdisciplinary teams
Ability to interact effectively with senior leaders across the enterprise
Excellent change management capabilities
Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet timelines without quality
Conceptual and strategic thinker
Tactical thinker and leader with respect to solution development and implementation
Ability to persuade senior executives and other internal and external stakeholders to accomplish tasks and achieve objectives
Ability to work with pace and manage multiple time-sensitive and competing priorities
Excellent analytic skills
Expert project management skills
Ability to work independently
We’re here to help
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do – helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future—the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we’re changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.