The Audit Analyst is accountable to support the Enterprise and the assigned Business/Corporate Group in validating the effectiveness of management processes and system of internal control. An affective audit function provides vital assurance to the Board of Directors and senior management as to the quality of the internal control system and in so doing helps reduce the risk of loss and reputational damage to the Company. The function is instrumental in identifying unacceptable / high risk circumstances that could lead to material impact on profitability or reputation. The Audit Analyst is responsible for conducting analysis, automation and to support audits which critically assess management and internal control processes. The function also ensures the nature, extent and timing of the audit analysis is appropriately executed and contributes to the formulation of an insightful audit report which provides clear, concise and memorable insights on possible issues, which will assist management in fulfilling its responsibilities.
Contributing to the sustainability of a strong internal audit practice by maintaining a high performance culture, embedding the BMO principles in the conduct of the role.
Contributing through direct actions to the Division’s stature and independence within the Enterprise.
Profile and Client Experience
- Proactively identify business strategy changes, emerging risks and regulatory developments to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of the 3rd line of defense.
- Provide auditors with meaningful analytics and insights on efficiency opportunities observed within client functions.
- Demonstrate good judgments in application of audit analytics.
- Provide timely and insightful support.
- Enhance the dynamic risk based internal audit practice to meet or exceed changing industry and regulatory standards and expectations.
- Be seen as knowledgeable within specific technical competency roles aligned to the needs of the Division.
- Execute audit analytic procedures conducted in full recognition of the risks of the client group which encompass the internal risks, control risks and internal/external environments and regulatory risks.
- Drive positive change in the Enterprise based upon high quality work, thoughtful in its preparation and direction.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the industry, of the client group, the regulatory and broad economic environment
- availing the client of the knowledge as to the development of new strategies and tactical plans and opportunities.
- Apply sound judgment in the execution of the assigned work.
Strategic Priority Initiatives
- Embrace the Corporate Audit Project initiatives to find a better way to work and drive greater efficiency
- Enhance use of computer assisted audit techniques with a focus on ongoing/continuous audits and analytics.
- People and leadership
- Have exceptional communication throughout Corporate Audit Team to enable greater transparency of initiatives and issues.
- Demonstrate high quality work consistent with a “strong” audit function,
- Continue to advance the capabilities of individual teams by participating in internal / external training opportunities.
- Be a positive role model for others, help others succeed.
- Support the culture within Corporate Audit Division as it continues to evolve
- Independently or with limited supervision: Analyze , design, deliver, and implement analytic development projects, with the use of BMO analytics tools
- Examine opportunities to integrate data analytics into BMO audits by assisting audit teams in performing testing of internal controls across the Bank
- Use analytical tools and methodologies to analyze data, make audit observations and make recommendations to improve policies, procedures and controls to mitigate risk or increase efficiency
- Ensure audit analytics are efficiently performed and accurately interpret results against defined criteria
- Ensure that project activities are accomplished within approved time frames, scope, and budgets
- Confirm that projects adhere to development standards and guidelines
- Use analytics tools to perform analysis, conduct research and present findings to the audit team
- Undergraduate degree in Computer science, Physics, Math or Statistics with 2+ years of combined relevant experience in technology, audit, risk management and/or business functions within banking or financial institutions, including direct relevant experience in data analysis .
- Analytical, confident to enquire, detail-oriented, able to multi-task, a team player and deadline driven
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Project and Time management skills
- Knowledge of Data Analysis techniques acquired through at least 2 years of direct relevant experience in one or more of the following areas (at least 3):
- Data warehousing, cubing, multi-dimensional analysis
- Development of Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) processes
- Data cleansing, transformation and normalization
- Data processing and reconciliation
- Data flow analysis (ERDs, Mapping, Tracing, etc.)
- Advanced data analysis techniques: regression analysis, statistical analysis, hypothesis testing, distribution analysis, correlation, variance, multi-variate analysis, Monte Carlo simulation, etc.
- Good knowledge of Internal Controls, Controls Testing, and Risk Assessment
- Knowledge of Computer Assisted Audit Tools and Techniques (CAATTs) and data analysis
- Strong knowledge of relational database structures and underlying concepts
- Relevant professional designations, audit specific designations or other advanced degree are nice to have (considered an asset), such as, CA/CGA/CMA, CPA, CIA, CISA, CFA, FRM, PMP, MBA
- Advance MS Office skills – Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of reporting tools such as, SAS, MSBI, BOBJ and/or audit specific data analysis tools such as ACL.
- Knowledge of design, development, and implementation utilizing current analytics technologies and architecture, as well as data warehouse concepts and methodologies
- MUST have strong programming skills demonstrated via education and work experience in SQL and one programming language: Python, Java/scala, or C/C++ , C#. Scripting experience in shell, Perl or Python is a strong asset.
- Data mining and analysis using package such as R, Spark , Python libraries or similar
- Visualization experience using Tableau, SpotFire, or similar
- Exposure to and working knowledge of one or more of the major database platforms: MS-SQL, Oracle, DB2, Netezza, Hadoop, HDFS, etc. is preferred.
- Exposure to a wide variety of technology platforms and systems
- Expert analytical and system thinking skills
- Ability to undertake self-directed learning to understand processes and systems
- Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills with the ability to exercise mature judgment
- In-depth interpersonal, communication, negotiating, influencing, and relationship management skills
BMO Financial Group thanks all applicants. We advise only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
We’re here to help
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do – helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future—the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we’re changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Corp. Audit Division-X000071