Back-end Java and Python
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
About the Company:
At BluWave-ai our mission is to deliver innovative AI solutions to accelerate the transformation towards renewable energy. We apply AI to increase the use of clean energy in smart grids and microgrids with distributed energy resources, demand response, and transactive business models.
We are looking for talented people with entrepreneurial drive to seize on the ground floor opportunities, grow their careers, and make a positive impact for the environment.
- Who you are
- You are a software developer, with a minimum of 3 years of professional experience, strongly motivated by building dependable and scalable products for successful customer deployments. You develop software using component-oriented and iterative approaches. You are motivated by hands-on development in Java and Python based on sound software architecture and design principles. You are familiar with DevOps continuous improvement approaches for highly automated development, builds, and testing.
- You have the drive to gather requirements, investigate, learn and clarify options. You can make well-reasoned recommendations to converge on effective, time-based decisions. You seek out the opportunity to learn and apply suitable external/open source components and tools, and platform technologies that best support the development of our real-time AI solutions.
- You are a pragmatic innovator who thrives in a fast-paced, disciplined, and team-oriented environment where we strive individually while supporting, learning from, and building on each other's ideas and efforts to succeed as a team. You have strong verbal and written communication skills. You are effective at teamwork, and you enjoy mentoring.
- What you are responsible for
- Architecting subsystems, designing and coding internal components, selecting external components, integrating, testing, and improving software for:
- data and control pipes between our product and its external environment
- time series data treatment and storage in scalable and fault tolerant clusters
- APIs for exposure to UI and external management and analytics
- automating deployment of machine learning modules at the edge
- connection of machine learning modules with diverse, and real-time, external interfaces of data
- operational security, fault-tolerance, scalability, and real-time performance
- Your Knowledge, Experience, and Skills
- Systematic architecture and design pattern skills
- Strong Java development skills.
- Python development skills.
- Familiarity with IOT pipes environments (e.g. MQTT, CoAp/DTLS, Kafka)
- RESTful API development
- Utilizing SQL and NoSQL databases such as MySQL, Cassandra, Ignite
- Knowledge of agile methodologies and tools: Experience in balancing agile development and dependability requirements.
- Systematic evaluation of options for build vs buy
Considered an asset:
- Experience with using cloud technologies such as Azure, AWS, Google Cloud, or Watson
- Build, release and configuration management of production systems such as Gradle, Jenkins, Git.
- Monitoring Tools: e.g. Nagios.
- Application containerization with Docker and Kubernetes.
- C++ development experience
- Experience with AI and Machine Learning infrastructure such as Tensorflow, Keras, Theano.
- Development experience in an electric utility products or service company.
- At least, B.Sc. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or other equivalent technical discipline.
Other Candidate Requirements:
- Must be a strong team player with the ability to communicate and collaborate effectively in a geographically disperse working environment.
- Ability to travel, from time to time, to support customers, initially in Canada, and eventually globally.
- Knowledge, skills, and professional networking in one of the most exciting and positively impactful technology domains that is an intersection of electrical engineering, machine learning, software development, and data science.
- Startup experience and ground floor opportunities for growth in a team that includes PhD Smart Grid Engineers, Data Scientists, recent grads, and seasoned business professionals.
- Competitive compensation.
- High quality of life and career in Canada's National Capital Region.
- Working on a team with a serious approach towards our work, rather than ourselves, together with fun and random team events such as Ice Cream Fridays and Cosmological Lunches. You will get the opportunity to come up with one!
Position Reports to (Title)
Sr. Vice President, Engineering
Diversity makes us stronger. BluWave-ai provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, or ordinances.
Authorization to work in Canada will be required for this position.
Job Type: Full-time
- Python and Java: 3 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)