BlueDot is composed of an intentionally eclectic collective of scientists, mavericks, data geeks, design thinkers, and do-gooders united in a singular desire to outsmart infectious disease. In today's highly connected world the global population has become increasingly vulnerable to infectious disease and the devastating impact of an outbreak.
We generate cutting-edge data analysis, proprietary technology, and actionable knowledge in the service of preventing, detecting, and mitigating a number of today's most pressing global health issues. Drawing from a range of expertise-epidemiology, medicine, ecology, mathematical modelling, geospatial analytics, data science & engineering, design, and development - BlueDot applies human and machine-driven analytics to big data, generates insights from it, and translates these insights into digestible products and services.
Our HR strategy is very simple:
encourage people who are passionate about making a difference in the world to join their unique skills and perspectives within a diverse team, where each member is working on the things they love to do. "Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." (Albert Schweitzer) We are successful together by uniting our team members' unique strengths and passions.
Together we can create a healthier and safer world.
User Experience Designer
We are seeking a brilliant, creative User Experience Designer to own the design of compelling web and mobile products, and insightful data visualizations. This role is a rare opportunity to apply your design craft and thinking to the development of socially meaningful, innovative technologies in global health.
What you'll be doing:
We're looking for someone who has:
- Owning the user experience and interaction design of digital products that generate or distribute critical analytical insights on the global spread of infectious disease
- Participating in the full spectrum of user-centred design activities, including: exploratory research and framing (journey maps, scenarios), interaction and interface design (wireframes, mockups, prototypes), evaluation (user testing, design critiques), and final production (design specifications, asset creation)
- Designing and producing scientific data visualizations that reveal patterns or communicate analyses
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams to identify and communicate design priorities, champion the user, and promote high design standards
- Being a key player in a closely-knit and dedicated design team
Ideally, you also have:
- A passion for applying their design talents to creating solutions for important social problems, like mitigating the spread and impact of global pandemics
- At least 3 years of experience designing web and mobile applications, and data visualizations
- Background in interaction design, graphic design, computer science, information science, human factors engineering, or related fields
- An appetite for solving complex workflow problems (often involving data exploration, analytics, visualization, and communication) in elegant ways
- A strong understanding and application of user-centred design and data visualization principles (you know your Norman and Tufte!)
- Outstanding visual skills with stylistic breadth that fuses beauty with usability
- Proficiency with vector-authoring tools (Sketch, Adobe Illustrator, etc.) and interaction prototyping tools (InVision, Principle, etc.)
What's in it for you as a member of the BlueDot team:
- Meaningful work that has purpose
- Being a part of a fun and collaborative team
- Outstanding health & dental benefits
- Healthy office snacks
- Centrally located downtown office, steps from the subway, with indoor bike racks
209 Victoria St., Toronto, ON
For more information, visit:
Please apply with your resume, a cover letter, and a link to your portfolio.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
BlueDot is committed to workplace diversity and will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process.
BlueDot is a Certified B Corp, which means we are certified to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. We've also been recognized as a Best Place to Work for Women, and a top 25 Best Workplace in the country.