BlueDot is composed of an intentionally eclectic collective of scientists, mavericks, data geeks, design thinkers, and do-gooders united in a singular desire to outsmart infectious disease. In today s highly connected world the global population has become increasingly vulnerable to infectious disease and the devastating impact of an outbreak.
We generate cutting-edge data analysis, proprietary technology, and actionable knowledge in the service of preventing, detecting, and mitigating a number of today s most pressing global health issues. Drawing from a range of expertise epidemiology, medicine, ecology, mathematical modelling, geospatial analytics, data science & engineering, design, and development BlueDot applies human and machine-driven analytics to big data, generates insights from it, and translates these insights into digestible products and services.
Our HR strategy is very simple:
encourage people who are passionate about making a difference in the world to join their unique skills and perspectives within a diverse team, where each member is working on the things they love to do. Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful. (Albert Schweitzer) We are successful together by uniting our team members unique strengths and passions.
Together we can create a healthier and safer world.
We are seeking a talented and passionate Data Engineer with a geospatial background to join our data services team. You will be using modern data tools to support our products and services by solving data integration challenges. You will work with data that has an impact on global connectivity all the way down to local areas of analysis while creating, expanding, and optimizing data pipelines to build upon our data platform. You will be working with both structured and unstructured datasets that are both spatial and non-spatial in nature. It s a rare opportunity to apply your skills in to the development of socially meaningful and innovative technologies in health.
What you ll be doing:
We are looking for someone who has:
- Evaluating new spatial and non-spatial datasets for BlueDot s products and services
- Performing spatial analyses and creating information products utilizing GIS and related software
- Creating and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture
- Using python to automate data processes and analyses to maximize efficiency
- Helping design, develop, test, document, and certify data pipeline related applications, programs and systems
- Managing individual data and application s development projects
- Building the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources
- Helping design and implement data quality control procedures and policies
- Assisting with operationalizing data science models
- Using new & existing Data & Cloud technologies contribute to the innovative design, development and management of the company s data
Ideally, you also have:
- 2-3 years of experience programming with python and working with enterprise databases (MS SQL, MySQL or PostgreSQL)
- A degree in spatial analysis, geography GIS, Computer Science, Engineering, related quantitative fields, or equivalent experience
- A desire to apply their talents to create solutions for important social problems
- Experience with ArcGIS in an enterprise environment
- Experience with ESRI products (ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro)
- Experience with SQL
- Experience with FME and FME Server
- Experience using relational and NoSQL databases such as sql server and MongoDB
- A collaborative attitude that excels in a friendly team environment
- The interest and ability to quickly learn new tasks and systems
- An understanding that excellence can and should be delivered to both external and internal clients
- A get things done attitude with the aim to exceed expectations
- A passionate curiosity to keep up-to-date with new database and GIS technologies
- The heightened attention to detail required to produce professional deliverables & documentation on time
What s in it for you as a member of the BlueDot team:
- A basic understanding of modern techniques and tools for Data Science, Modeling and Analytics
- An understanding of API architecture and integration
- Experience working with raster imagery
- Experience in the health sector
- Meaningful work that has purpose
- Being a part of a fun and collaborative team
- Outstanding health & dental benefits
- Healthy office snacks
- Centrally located downtown office, steps from the subway, with indoor bike racks
209 Victoria St., Toronto, ON
For more information, visit:
Please apply with your resume and a cover letter outlining why your skills, experience, and values make you the ideal person for the role.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
BlueDot is committed to workplace diversity and will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process.
BlueDot is a Certified B Corp, which means we are certified to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. We've also been recognized as a Best Place to Work for Women, and a top 25 Best Workplace in the country.