Blavity is on the lookout for new members to join our team.
We are a venture-funded technology and new media company. We have assembled an amazing team of passionate, high-energy & focused team-players who cultivate our community and advance our strategic direction. Blavity is changing the landscape of media representation by building the world's largest digital community for millennials of color. Blavity was founded in 2014 around a simple idea: enable millennials of color to tell their own stories.
Today, we reach 30 million millennials a month through our growing portfolio, and distribute our message across all major social media platforms. We are based in Downtown LA with team members working across the world. Blavity Inc. includes the following brands: Blavity.com, 21ninety.com, ShadowandAct.com, TravelNoire.com, and AfroTech.com.
What we look for in a Visual Designer: When it comes to being creative, you know that the best working environment is organized, efficient and makes room for projects that need creative space. You've got excellent visual problem solving and critical thinking skills. You're well-versed in the art of design diplomacy, and will work hard to make sure all stakeholders on a given project meet their goals.
- You are the visual keeper of the Blavity brand you'll be responsible for making sure what goes out is always visually on-brand
- Design research and trend analysis
- Work with creative team to create new design themes each quarter
- High-level design projects
Last minute design requests! AKA: You are down to step in and get your hands dirty on the regular.
What you'll do...
- Branded Content: Closely collaborating with sales team to concept and build client pitch presentations in Keynote/PPT on tight timelines, resizing and prepping banner ads (client and cobranded), preparing files for print production where necessary.
- Events: Creating production ready files and assets for various event-related collateral, including but not limited to event signage, invites, menus, swag and other supporting collateral.
- Corporate: Updating and various corporate related swag and collateral including (but not limited to) business cards, stationery, presentation design and templates and office signage.
- Working quickly and efficiently, ensuring all projects are delivered on deadline, and in line with the Blavity brand vision.
- Working in a detail-oriented fashion by delivering projects according to initial specs and requirements
What you have...
- 5+ years professional design experience
- 1+ years management/leadership experience
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign CC on Mac
- Excellent visual design skills demonstrated by a portfolio displaying a range of design work from design for web, art direction, illustration, page layout to cross-media cross-functional campaigns
- Excellent understanding of brand and visual voice
- Excellent typography skills
- Ability to work fast when necessary
- Openness to do anything and everything when necessary during busier seasons
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent visual problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Able to translate a visual brand seamlessly to multiple environments: Web, Social, Physical Events and spaces, Video, email, etc.
- Experience art directing photo shoots, styling and illustration skills are a plus!