Based in the heart of Toronto's financial district, Blaney McMurtry is one of Canada's premier law firms. Recognized and ranked as leaders in our field, it is in our DNA to deliver efficient, practical legal services to support our clients' businesses. We seek exceptional individual who take pride in their work and know the importance of excellent client service.
We have a position available for a Coordinator, Professional Development & Recruitment to work with our Professional Development and Research Partner coordinating the recruitment, orientation, performance review process, training, and development programs for the Summer Legal Students, Articling Students and Associates. The Coordinator role:
- Provides general administrative support to the Professional Development and Research Partner, including drafting routine letters, memoranda and correspondence, responding to resumés, transcription of research memos, processing departmental mail and Professional Development expenditures and courses, maintaining files and scheduling appointments plus travel. Provides assistance with new initiatives or processes.
- Assists in the management of the student and associate recruitment process, including internal/external inquiries, screening of resumes, arranging interviews, maintaining files of current and previous applicants, reporting results, ensuring appropriate correspondence is completed, and co-ordinating the hire back of previous student employees. Liaises with incoming summer and articling students. Coordinates promotional events for recruiting, by liaising with career development officers, student organizations and committees.
- Coordinates orientation materials for lawyers, articling students, summer legal students and others as required including orientation schedules, boardroom and food service arrangements, and liaises with all proposed presenters regarding their availability and the coordination of program materials. Also assists with off-boarding of lawyers and legal students.
- Coordinates income partner, associate and student review process. Prepares performance appraisals with SurveyMonkey, monitors reviewer responses, follows up as needed and transcription of review summaries. Schedules review meetings and prepares and circulates review information to those attending the review meeting.
- Coordinates internal and external continuing legal education programs for lawyers and law clerks including establishing and maintaining tracking systems for programs.
- Registers lawyers, students, and others for seminars, webinars and conferences. Coordinates all in-house seminars and webinars with presenters regarding materials and AV needs.
- Assists in coordinating student and associate social events.
- Monitors any expenditures for the budget related to the Student and Associate programs and manages payment of Bar Admission fees and reimbursement, coordinates invoicing and payment of secondments.
- Coordinates the filing of Law Society forms relating to student process. Prepares documents required by the Law Society for accreditation of seminars, maternity leave, audits and retirement.
- Strong computer skills, primarily in Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, prioritize effectively and meet competing deadlines.
- Effective process and time management skills.
- Professional approach with the ability to interact effectively with people at all levels.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work well with limited supervision.
- Previous experience in a busy administrative role.
- Dictation transcription.
- Previous experience in a law firm or professional services firm is an asset.
- Familiarity with the Law Society requirements for students and CLE is a definite asset.
- Previous experience working in a Professional Development or HR role is a definite asset.
Our online application will give you the option to apply to this role as a complete candidate – not just a resume. The application will assess your qualifications, personality traits and workplace preferences, and should take about 10–15 minutes to complete. It’s optional to do, and you will get a copy of your assessment when you’re done by logging into the application tool. If you require any accommodation in the application process, please contact us with the “Need Help” button in the application.