Blackbox is hiring a full–stack web engineer to build tools for independent artists to sell and ship their creations to their customers.
Blackbox is a shipping company from the creators of Cards Against Humanity.
Our mission is to help independent artists sell and ship stuff directly to their fans for a fraction of the cost and effort of doing it themselves. In addition to selling and shipping Cards Against Humanity around the globe, the technology we've built has shipped the most–backed Kickstarter game in history, sold over 10,000 Trump Bug–Out bags in under 2 hours, distributed 30,000 pieces of cow poo, and has helped our clients continue to run their successful small businesses.
About the Role:
Day to day you'll be working closely with a small team of designers and engineers to plan and build new features, and optimize existing ones. We're currently using Ruby on Rails, Grape, Vue.js, Postgres, Redis, Elasticsearch, and AWS to make this happen, and are open to any new technologies that make our team more productive, and our software better.
This is a full–time position based in Chicago, IL, but open to remote candidates for the right person. Benefits include full health and dental, a 401K plan, and generous vacation. We work out of our wonderful co–working space full of all sorts of creative folks, plus the occasional dog. We often work remotely as well, but stick to core hours to maximize our ability to collaborate.
The ideal candidate is eager to deeply understand complicated problems and contribute holistically to solving them. We're interested in hiring well–rounded people with hobbies and side projects who are curious about learning new things and contributing to our culture in unexpected ways. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
- Build and deploy functional software, focusing on user value and iteration.
- Collaborate with a small and focused product team, champion your ideas, and work towards the best solutions for our customers.
- Help the team mentor and upskill junior developers.
- Participate in code reviews and development and design discussions before, during, and after feature development.
- Test ideas with our UX team, ask tough questions, and adapt based on what we learn.
Skills and Qualifications
- A minimum of 3 years experience building web based software solutions.
- Expert knowledge of Ruby on Rails.
- Understanding of responsive design and web standards.
- Familiarity with AWS, testing, deployment strategies, and building and consuming APIs.
- High attention to detail, including proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to lead projects and turn them into shippable products.
- Degree in computer science / engineering or commensurate work experience.
- DevOps experience or interest, using tools like Terraform, Chef, and Ansible.
- Experience with search technologies like Elasticsearch or Solr.
Ready to join the team?
To apply, please send the following to email@example.com:
- A brief introduction to yourself.
- A résumé or your work history.
- A link to your website, GitHub, or relevant work examples.
This is a full–time position.
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.