BGIS, A Brookfield Company, is looking for a Project Manager - Mechanical to join our growing team! We are currently seeking a Project Manager with mechanical design experience for the Calgary area, who would have to manage several building projects in client leased and owned buildings as well as provide mechanical expertise for mechanical designs/scopes. The type of projects are primarily replacement of electro-mechanical equipment and building components due to end of life, addition of electro-mechanical equipment due to growth of our client's network, increasing electro-mechanical resiliency and upgrade of existing building equipment to meet the latest environmental requirements. Many of these buildings house telecom (voice, internet and TV), IT equipment (data centres), studio’s and offices which are essential to client services, therefore proper planning, scope and risk management are required in the realization of the projects.
The position would be for an intermediate to senior candidate and the individual is expected to be autonomous and would receive some coaching. The position also requires good communication and customer relation with our internal clients.
The Project Manager will perform/have the following duties/responsibilities as regrouped in the three main areas below:
1. Project Delivery in Mission Critical Environments:
- Replacement or addition of building systems such as electrical, stand-by power, UPS, mechanical, HVAC, plumbing, fire detection, sprinkler, DDC, etc. in buildings housing telecom equipment, data centers, production studios (radio and television);
- Taking into account building codes, occupational health and labor regulations;
- Taking into account complexity of construction issues and risk mitigation for work in a live technical environments;
- Work with internal groups such as program management, engineering. procurement, transaction management and operations teams, internal clients (requester of the project such as telecom, IT or production operating groups) to ensure the appropriate project delivery and maintaining good relations.
2. Project Management Processes and Quality Assurance:
- Use project plans, schedules and budgets to ensure the highest quality of delivery in accordance to project requirements (key date and client standards);
- Ensure that the team (consultants, contractors, Real Estate Engineering, buildings operation) delivers projects for the client, on time, within budget and according to internal customer requirements;
- Take a pro-active approach in the planning of key activities and therefore eliminate surprises/delays;
- Obtain competitive prices and ensure that the client receives the maximum value for the products and services;
- Suggest when appropriate ways to improve existing processes or reduce cost without reducing on required quality
3. Communication and reporting:
- Produce reports in order to keep the various internal groups informed on the project progress (schedule and budget), potential problems to come with a mitigation plan;
- Develop and maintain good working relations with our internal groups (engineering, program, operations and internal clients) in order to demonstrate the added value that the Real Estate groups bring to their business
As Mechanical Engineer, the role is to:
- Provide technical support to buildings operation when there are mechanical issues on HVAC, water towers, chillers, condensers, CRAH and CRAC units, pumps, valves, sprinkler systems, emergency generator ventilation/exhaust systems
- Prepare risk mitigation strategies based on reliability and resiliency
- Base on project requirements (life cycle, growth, de-risk, improvements) provide mechanical technical expertise in preparing the scope/design intent which will then be used to tender for consultant design
- Work with and review consultant mechanical design to ensure they are as per client Standards and scope
- Provide mechanical expertise for commissioning of mechanical systems during projects
The approximate work load split between the project manager role and mechanical engineering role is expected to be PM = 80% and Mech Eng = 20%). Although the engineer will be located in Calgary, some of the sites that he will have to manage are located in other regions of Alberta such as Edmonton and Manitoba such as Winnipeg both also covers rural sites in those provinces. So the engineer will be expected to travel at times.
- University degree in Project Management and/or Mechanical Engineering from a recognised university
- Registered professional engineers in Alberta
- PMP certification would be preferred
- A minimum of 5 years of project management and/or construction experience
- A minimum of 5 years of mechanical system design and construction supervision
- Experience in managing projects in Data Center or telecommunication industry preferred.
- Knowledge/experience in use of Project Management software/tools (Microsoft Project, Excel, Power Point, PMWeb, etc.),
- Good knowledge in the following areas: codes, detailed estimating, SOX
- Autonomous, but also a team player
- Flexible to deal with tight deadlines and a quickly changing environment
- Detail oriented with strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Fluent in English (oral and written) with excellent communication abilities; knowledge of French (an asset but not mandatory)