Aon Hewitt has announced BCAA as a 2018 Canadian Gold Level Best Employer
BCAA has an opening for the position of Data Engineer. The successful applicant will join a growing team of advanced analytics and data professionals who will work to create data assets and deliver insights that will add measureable value across the organization. This role will design new data mappings and transformations to populate a cloud Enterprise Data Hub. They will examine and explore data from multiple disparate sources with the goal of discovering insights. As part of this role's responsibilities, the Data Engineer will be responsible for managing and maintaining scripts and processes required to extract, transform, clean and move data and metadata so they can be loaded into a data warehouse, data mart or operational data stores.
What's the status?
What are the hours?
35 hours per week
What you will be doing?
Data integration and processing development
- Work with a variety of data integration, cleansing, CDC, and data governance tools to onboard, process, clean, store and provide access to data within an Enterprise Data Hub.
- Design scalable and manageable solutions that are flexible and can evolve within an ever changing environment.
- Develop automated data and metadata processes so they can be leveraged across the organization for insight and action.
- Work closely with data scientists, BI developers and business stakeholders to create data processing solutions that deliver value throughout the enterprise.
- Carry out descriptive and diagnostic data discovery analysis according to business needs and share insight with business stakeholders and leadership.
- Support and enable collaboration across the different areas of the business to democratize information and ensure there are no 'data silos'.
- Develop solutions that support a strong data governance framework.
Embedding data and analytics capabilities across the organization
- Thoroughly document assumptions, methodology, validation and testing to facilitate sharing of knowledge and insight.
- Assist with embedding the use of advanced analytical tools and techniques across analytics teams at BCAA.
- Assist in the development of a Data University program to help ensure enterprise wide enablement and adoption of data driven decisioning.
What do you bring:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software/Computer Engineering, or a related field
- 3-4 years as a Data Engineer/ETL Developer or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong working knowledge of source and target data structures, ETL and CDC processes and products.
- Strong working knowledge of design review, analysis, troubleshooting, and code review.
- Attention to detail and the ability to solve problems through technical solutions.
- Proven communication and interpersonal skills along with the ability to present at all levels of the organization, to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Capability to learn and develop new techniques as required.
- Experience with the following tools/languages for data management and manipulation: SQL, Informatica, MapReduce, Python, and Rest APIs.
- Working understanding of high volume data processing and analysis, relational and NoSql Databases, and Machine Learning Tools/Frameworks.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services.
- Analytical experience with financial services and insurance services data.
- Experience working with unstructured data.
- Experience in predictive modeling and data analysis.
- Ability to connect systems using API's, Python code or Bash scripts.
Apply today via Indeed or our career's website:
Job Type: Full-time