The Director, Information Services and Technology and
CIO s role is to provide vision and leadership for the
development and implementation of information technology
and digital initiatives that result in strong business
solutions. The Chief Information Officer directs the
planning, design, and implementation of enterprise IT
systems in order to improve cost effectiveness, service
quality, technology integration, and business
development. This individual is responsible for all
aspects of the organization s information technology and
Strategy & Planning
- Act as the principle advisor for the organization
and Board of Directors on matters involving
information and technology.
- Lead IT strategic and operational planning to
achieve business goals by fostering innovation,
prioritizing IT initiatives, and coordinating the
evaluation, deployment, and management of current
and future IT systems across the organization.
- Manage the IT Strategic Plan by establishing
departmental goals and objectives to meet
deliverables; conduct annual service plans to
monitor progress against the plan.
- Lead the identification, prioritization and
definition of a portfolio of enterprise IT capital
projects, ensuring proposed projects meet business
and funding requirements.
- Direct the development and execution of an
enterprise-wide disaster recovery and business
- Oversee the corporate cybersecurity strategy and
ensure appropriate policies and procedures are being
- Ensure corporate initiatives and new programs are
planned and implemented in accordance with a
holistic IT framework and data architecture,
including new smart fleet technology and associated
back office infrastructure support.
- Promote and oversee strategic relationships between
internal IT resources and external entities,
including government, vendors, and partner
- Assess and make recommendations on the improvement
or re-engineering of the IT organization.
- Oversee the provision of end-user services,
including Help Desk and technical support, and lead
the development of service level agreements with
- Develop and implement all IT policies and
procedures, including those for architecture,
security, disaster recovery, standards, purchasing
and service provision.
- Oversee the definition, planning, and implementation
of IT-led projects, communicating milestones to the
executive team, department leads, support staff and
- Review the performance of IT systems and
applications to determine operating costs,
productivity levels, and upgrade requirements.
- Establish lines of control for current and proposed
- Benchmarks, analyzes, reports on and makes
recommendations for the improvement of the IT
infrastructure and IT systems.
- Oversees negotiation and administration of vendor,
outsourced and consultant contracts and service
- Builds and maintains working relationships with all
levels of staff, including project managers and
executives engaged in resolving complex,
multi-stakeholder issues where IT is part of the
- Ensure IT system operation adheres to applicable
compliance requirements, regulations, and audit
- Assess, communicate and mitigate risks associated
with IT investments.
- Develop, track, and control the information
technology annual operating and capital budgets.
- Develop business case justifications and
cost/benefit analyses for IT spending and
- Identify opportunities for the appropriate and
cost-effective investment of financial resources in
IT systems and resources, including staffing,
sourcing, purchasing, and in-house development.
- Supervise recruitment, development, retention, and
organization of all IT staff in accordance with
corporate budgetary objectives and personnel
- Develop and reviews budgets for other divisions to
ensure compliance with stated goals, guidelines and
Research & Development
- Monitor trends and issues in the IT industry,
especially as they relate to the delivery of transit
solutions, including current technologies and
prices. Advise, counsel, and educate executives and
management on their strategic, operational and
- Direct research on potential technology and data
solutions in support of new initiatives,
opportunities and procurement efforts.
Education and Experience
- 7 years experience managing and/or directing an IT
- Degree in Computer Science, Business Administration
or related discipline is preferred. A Masters is
considered an asset.
- 10 years experience working in the IT industry.
- Experience in public and unionized sector is an
- Experience in strategic planning and execution.
- Considerable knowledge of business theory, business
processes, management, budgeting, and business
- Substantial exposure to data architecture, data
processing, hardware platforms, enterprise software
applications, and outsourced systems, including
- Good understanding of computer systems
characteristics, features, and integration
- Experience with systems design and development from
business requirements analysis through to day-to-day
- Proven experience in IT planning, organization, and
- Excellent understanding of project management
- Superior understanding of the organization s goals
- Demonstrated ability to apply IT in solving business
- In-depth knowledge of applicable laws and
regulations as they relate to IT.
- Strong understanding of human resource management
principles, practices, and procedures.
- Proven leadership ability.
- Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and
- Exceptionally self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving
- Exceptional service orientation.
- Ability to motivate in a team-oriented,
- Ability to respond to changing priorities and
achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
Occupational Health and Safety Knowledge - Is
knowledgeable about workplace health and safety, places
high importance on safety and diligently follows safe
operating procedures; promotes and displays a positive
safety attitude and is proactive about safety for
themselves, peers and customers.
Customer Service - Demonstrates a commitment to public
service, serves and satisfies internal and external
customers, holds themselves accountable for quality
Leadership - Inspires and motivates employees to
increase engagement, deliver results, accomplish tasks
and achieve goals; provides feedback and coaching to
enable employees to be successful and develops them for
potential future positions through the application of
the Performance Management Program; recognizes employees
whose actions support the vision, values and objectives;
identifies inefficient practices and/ or processes and
implements strategies and solutions to optimize the use
of corporate resources and assets.
Accountability - Assumes responsibility for successfully
accomplishing work goals and objectives and consistently
delivering results; setting high standards of
performance for self and others.
Professional Integrity - Consistently completes work in
a thorough, accurate and high quality manner; follows
through on commitments and adheres to policies and
procedures; strives for personal growth and excellence
and is receptive to suggestions for improvement.
Interpersonal Relationships - Develops and maintains
effective relationships with others, relates well to
people from varied backgrounds and in different
situations, show understanding, courtesy, tact, empathy
Innovation - Develops new insights into situations and
applies different and novel solutions to make
Collaboration - Builds an effective team that
understands and supports the vision, values and
objectives of the organization; shares the strategic
direction, provides clarity as needed and recognizes
team accomplishments; proactively works with team
members to address and resolve any conflicts.
Communication - Provides regular, consistent and
relevant information to others and ensures appropriate
individuals are informed; listens carefully to others,
asks questions or clarification and responds
thoughtfully; communicates in a clear and concise manner
using appropriate content, style and method of
communication to suit the needs of the individual or
- Testing and assessments may be included as part of
the recruitment process.
- This position requires the completion of a Criminal
- An eligibility list may be created to fill future
vacancies as required.
BC Transit Offers:
- Extended health
- Life insurance
- Medical Services Plan (MSP) group coverage
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Personal Days
- Pension Plan
- Employee fitness centre at both the Victoria and
- A complimentary BC Transit bus pass, plus 2 taxable
- Career development and advancement opportunities
- Social Club
- Employee Recognition Program