Bring your software developer skills to a fast-growing company where you can have an impact. The British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (BCI) is currently seeking a Market Risk Business Intelligence Developer co-op student/intern for the Winter 2019 (January-April), and Summer 2019 (May-August) work terms, to support our Investment Risk Management team in developing investment risk reporting software.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
BCI manages a globally diversified portfolio of assets valued at over $145 billion and is one of Canada’s largest institutional investors. We invest globally to support pension funds and others for more than 30 clients based in British Columbia.
The Market Risk Business Intelligence Developer co-op/intern will work within our Investment Risk, Strategy & Research department. This is a great opportunity for you to learn highly sought-after, real-world software development skills in the investment world. You will be working closely with senior software developers, in designing, programming and testing using Microsoft stack, Web and database tools and technologies.
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
You will work with the Investment Risk Management team in our Investment Risk Strategy & Research department.
The Investment Strategy & Risk (ISR) department plays a key role in BCI’s long-term investment strategy by influencing and advising on investment decisions made by clients, management and asset classes.
ISR consists of two branches: Investment Strategy and Investment Risk. Investment Strategy includes the maintenance of a framework for understanding and estimating variable risk premiums over relevant time periods, research of relevant macro-economic issues including assessment of the current business cycle dynamics and research of emerging economic or financial trends, opportunities and risks, all at an asset class and total fund level. Investment Risk includes the maintenance of systems for monitoring, measuring and estimating various forms of relevant investment risks across the various asset classes that BCI currently invests or may invest in and aggregating that risk at a total fund level.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
- Perform data modeling, design, test and development for information models
- Develop a reporting engine to capture risk of all BCI investment positions
- Develop an MS SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) Cube/OLAP warehouse
- Formulate efficient MDX, DAX queries for applications and reports
- Develop data visualization solutions that present data in a meaningful way using the enterprise business intelligence tools
- Identifying and researching new and innovative business intelligence and analytics tools and capabilities in the marketplace
- Undertake QA testing and bug fixing
- Write requirements, design and application documentation
- Contribute to the delivery of high quality standards for outputs
THE IDEAL STUDENT
- Are passionate about learning, new technologies, and our industry
- Have a deep sense of commitment towards making a difference for customers
- Demonstrate leadership in the way you approach your work, as shown through your academic, volunteer/community or extracurricular activities
- Possess strong interpersonal and communication capabilities
- Are self-motivated and have a strong sense of personal initiative and ownership
- Are creative and innovative in your thinking
- Can see "the big picture" while also being detailed oriented
- Thrive in a high-performing, fast-paced, large and sometimes ambiguous environment
- Experience with data modeling, design, test and development
- Strong attention to detail with excellent problem-solving skills
- Proven interpersonal skills, verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to build relationships and to work in a team environment
- Familiar with software development life-cycle, testing principals, best practices, and methodologies is an asset (ie. Microsoft Visual Studio, TFS, Agile, Scrum, Git)
- Working knowledge of data visualization tools is an asset (ie. Tableau, MS Power BI, QlikView, Spotfire, etc.)
- Experience in Excel VBA, SQL
- Experience in MDX, DAX is preferred
- Experience in R, Python is preferred
- Previous work or co-op/intern experience is preferred
- Previous experience or exposure to capital markets is preferred
WHAT WE OFFER
- Career development and training
- Opportunity to help build capital market risk analytics and reporting software
- Direct exposure to capital market risk management domain and financial products
- Working closely with risk, data management and IT teams
- Excellent training by IRSR staff
- Work with a dynamic team in a fast-paced, commercial environment using Agile project management.
- The opportunity to do work that will challenge and stimulate you
- The development of real-world skills at one of the largest institutional investors in Canada and the world
- Exposure to some of the most talented, approachable, and inspiring people in the finance industry and in our in-house IT department
- Competitive compensation
- Time to connect with other co-op students and interns BCI – build your network and shared learning
- Work term: Winter 2019 (January-April) or Summer 2019 (May-August)
- Department: Investment Strategy & Risk
- Office Location: 750 Pandora Street, Victoria, BC, Canada
- Spend your off hours exploring beautiful Victoria and Vancouver Island
- Pay: $3,600 per month for students with undergraduate degree; $3,800 per month for those with graduate degree
- Travel: If coming to Victoria for this work term, BCI will pay return airfare or ferry based on your location
- Apply: Please include a cover letter, resume, and transcripts (unofficial transcript will suffice)