WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
BCI manages a globally diversified portfolio of assets valued at over $145 billion and is one of Canada’s largest institutional investors. We invest globally to support pension funds and others for more than 30 clients based in British Columbia.
We are currently hiring a Business Continuity & ERM co-op/intern for the Winter 2019 (January-April) work term to focus on the business continuity and risk management programs. In this position, you will contribute to the improvement of the business continuity management program and the enterprise risk management (ERM) function within BCI. This is a great opportunity for you to practice your analytical thinking, process improvement and communication skills in a very professional working environment.
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
You will be working closely with ERM Director and Analyst in administering and improving the business continuity and risk management programs. You will work with diverse groups within the organization such as Workplace Services, Information Security and Communications to collaborate the practices and activities required.
The ERM team is responsible for overseeing and providing leadership on all non-investment risks related activities of BCI that could prevent the achievement of corporate objectives. Additionally, the ERM team is now responsible for ensuring that BCI is resilient in the unlikely event of a disaster and our business continuity management program is ready for negative events.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
- This work term will provide you the opportunity to learn from and assist the ERM team in a range of initiatives. During this work term you will:
- Support the development and facilitation of incident response framework which includes business continuity exercises across BCI to test the readiness of emergency response, crisis management and other business continuity plans.
- Coordinate with business units and administer the business continuity plan documentation updates
- Participate in the business continuity exercises, when necessary, and create after-plan reports.
- Assist in continuous improvement of the program and coordinate with other partner organizations e.g. BC Pension Corporation
- Assist ERM and the business in identifying operational risks and mitigating controls and monitoring their mitigation plans
- Facilitate the identification and reporting of ERM key risk indicators
THE IDEAL STUDENT
- Exhibit professionalism, excellent interpersonal skills and ability to engage, build credibility, and maintain relationships with individuals at all organizational levels
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Ability to meet deadlines while maintaining accuracy, excellent product quality and attention to detail
- Team players who have the drive to continue learning, excel, and grow in a dynamic environment
- Highly organized, proactive, results oriented, and resourceful
- An active contributor to volunteer services in and outside their University, College
- University-level knowledge in business, economics, engineering, arts and science or related courses
- Working knowledge of enterprise business practices and risk assessment
- Organizational skills to support the team initiatives and keep up with multiple priorities
- Analytical problem solving
WHAT WE OFFER
- Career development and training in the risk management field
- The opportunity to do work that matters and impacts the organization
- The development of real world skills at one of the largest institutional investors in Canada and the world
- Exposure to some of the most talented, approachable, and inspiring people in the finance industry
- Competitive compensation
- Time to connect with other co-op students & interns at BCI – build your network and shared learning
- Potential work term extensions and career opportunities
- Work term: Winter 2019 (January-April)
- Department: Legal Affairs & General Counsel (Enterprise Risk Management team)
- Office Location: 750 Pandora Street, Victoria, BC, Canada
- Spend your off hours exploring beautiful Victoria and Vancouver Island
- Pay: $3,600 per month for students with undergraduate degree; $3,800 per month for those with graduate degree
- Travel: If coming to Victoria for this work term, BCI will pay return airfare or ferry based on your location
- Apply: Please include a cover letter, resume, and transcripts (unofficial transcript will suffice)