Every day, millions of patients and caregivers rely on Baxter’s leading portfolio of critical care, nutrition, renal, hospital and surgical products. For more than 85 years, we’ve been operating at the critical intersection where innovations that save and sustain lives meet the healthcare providers that make it happen. With products, technologies and therapies available in more than 100 countries, Baxter’s employees worldwide are now building upon the company’s rich heritage of medical breakthroughs to advance the next generation of transformative healthcare innovations. To learn more, visit www.baxter.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
Manage and direct the engineering within the facility supporting the continuous operation of production manufacturing cells to ensure that projects and continuous improvement is completed within safety, quality, time, and cost constraints. Coach and develop leaders and technical team members to ensure a high level of performance, collaboration, skill level and engagement.
The top two priorities for all Baxter Alliston employees are Safety and Quality:
Safety: Support our goal to achieve a “Zero Harm Environment”, by ensuring the safety of yourself and your co-workers through:
- Following all safety procedures
- Understanding potential hazards in your area
- Wearing appropriate PPE
- Reporting all incidents / near-misses / concerns
- Embracing 6s
Quality: Ensure the quality of our products to ensure patient safety and achieve our mission of “Saving and Sustaining Lives”. This can be achieved through:
- Following Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
- Adhering to all quality procedures.
- Completing training on-time
- Doing it Right the First Time
- Reporting any quality concerns immediately.
As part of the plant’s Enterprise Management System (EMS), all employees must embrace a culture of Continuous Improvement by:
- Participating in improvement activities
- Identifying and implementing continuous improvement ideas
- Participating in Tier meetings
- Recognizing your peers
- Embracing 6s.
- Identifying and implementing VIP’s (Value Improvement Project)
- Embrace continuous learning
- Utilize Leader Standard Work
- Utilize Root Cause Analysis tools to identify and prevent problems from recurring and drive measurable results.
Essential Duties and Responsibilties
- Create and maintain an environment where team members experience personal and professional growth and become a more self-directed team through regular feedback and coaching.
- Manage 10 technical resources across the facility including Controls Engineers, Process Engineers, Facilities Engineer.
- Responsible ensuring project, implementation and improvement, are executed in a timely, efficient manner to support plant goals of OEE, Project Deadlines, safety, quality, and cost.
- Responsible for overall management (including multi-million dollar budgets) of project timelines associated with generating equipment design specifications, procurement, design of experiments, factory acceptance testing, installation, coordination of validation activities, standard operating procedure (SOP) generation, and implementation in functional areas.
- Provide review and approval of Engineering Work Orders, Master Change Controls, Exception Reports, Technical Summaries, Validation protocols, expense approvals and Capital requests.
- Lead the capital planning process and create business cases and CER’s as required for presentation to senior leadership.
- Establish project requirements, vendor contracts, design and implementation plans in conjunction with other plant stakeholders.
- Oversee and develop capital equipment budgets, value Improve projects and equipment/process optimization costs.
- Ensure departmental compliance for master change control management and validation protocols.
- Utilize Lean principles to manage the successful completion of departmental tasks within the boundaries of safety, quality, time, and budget.
- Provide guidance, support, direction and leadership through positive interactions with plant team members, building synergies across value streams.
- Ensure team skills are optimized through cross-training, mentorship, and indepth performance management and development planning.
- Ensure quality and regulatory compliance through the CAPA process in support of Operations, as well as ensuring a compliant and efficient Preventative Maintenance program.
- Lead the energy program to achieve company goals and ensure compliance with ISO.
- Drive energy management improvements to reduce cost and improve sustainability.
- Provides strategic planning leadership by setting strategies and priorities based upon anticipation and application of industry trends and emerging technologies.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. List knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Must possess strong knowledge of engineering disciplines (e.g. fluid flow, thermodynamics, heat transfer, static's and dynamics, engineering materials) and solid knowledge of related disciplines.
- Ability to establish long-range business plans which anticipate global trends, technical, economic and socio-political conditions.
- Demonstrate understanding of business drivers, customer needs and global dynamics to create viable strategic plans.
- Proven track record of management/leadership effectiveness.
- Must possess strong ability to negotiate and maximize effectiveness of resources and influence others internally and externally.
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering, Professional Engineer of Ontario Designation
- Advanced Degree in Engineering, Science or Business for Engineering, Sciences Business, Microbiology.
- Blue Print Reading
Type of Experience
- Experience leading a project engineering group within a highly regulated manufacturing environment
- Project engineering/management from design to implementation
- Experience in leading diverse technical resources across a complex organization
- Demonstrated experience coaching, developing and leading a team of technical people
- LEAN Black belt, experienced in leading continuous improvement projects
A Career That Matters
Baxter’s employees are united in a mission to save and sustain lives. We are passionate about applying scientific innovation to meet the needs of the millions of people worldwide who depend on our medically necessary therapies and technologies. We focus on increasing access to healthcare, innovating in crucial areas of unmet need, and pursuing creative collaborations that bring our mission to life for patients every day.
Thank you for your interest and application to Baxter. All applications will be reviewed and those candidates selected for consideration will be contacted directly.
Baxter is committed to creating and maintaining a barrier-free environment for all employees and customers. We believe in integration and equal opportunity and we are committed to treating all people with dignity and respect. Should you need assistance at any point during the recruitment process please contact Human Resources at 705-440-2704.