POSITION TITLE: Director of Sales, Gourmet, Key Accounts
REPORTING TO: VP & GM, Gourmet & National Accounts
LOCATION: Chicago, IL
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
The Zurich-based Barry Callebaut Group is the world’s leading manufacturer of high-quality chocolate and cocoa products – from the origination and processing cocoa beans to producing the finest chocolates, including chocolate fillings, decorations, and compounds. The Group runs more than 59 production facilities worldwide selling in 140 countries and employs a diverse and dedicated global workforce of over 11,500 people.
The Barry Callebaut Group serves the entire food industry, from industrial food manufacturers to artisanal and professional users of chocolate, such as chocolatiers, pastry chefs, bakers, hotels, restaurants, and caterers.
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Barry Callebaut is searching for a dynamic Director of Sales to plan and implement sales activities, products, and programs to select accounts. Strategic relationships, opportunity identification, and proactive account management skills are critical in this role.
The Sales Director is responsible for achieving Gourmet sales targets – volume and margin – and assigned strategic account objectives. The Director represents the entire range of company products and services to the customer set, while also leading the customer account planning activities. The Director is responsible for, but not limited to driving portfolio growth, R&D development ambitions including new products seeded for development, and management of the other scope of services offered (technical services, supply chain/planning, marketing, etc.). The Director works within a cross-functional team environment to achieve his/her objectives.
- Develops and implements strategic sales plans, programs and forecasts to achieve objectives for products and services; responsible for the sales operating budgets including volume and margin.
- Develops account plans for customers to deliver annual volume and margin targets, and strategic initiatives to drive the highest possible wallet share and create a “sticky” supply relationship; develop new business opportunities including strategic volumes and close deals.
- Drives the new business activities for volume and margin growth through product development by developing relationships with customer R&D stakeholders; manage the project management activities for key projects and steer internal R&D efforts.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with customer stakeholders including procurement, R&D, QA, marketing, etc.; pursues higher-level relationships within the account.
- Direct sales forecasting activities to ensure forecast KPI adherence; support the supply chain and planning activities in support of customer volumes and projects, and enabling footprint initiatives.
- Represents company at trade events to promote the company when needed and relevant with account.
- Support account managers with account management and business development and opportunity identification; participate in global or regional strategic account governance, and negotiating agreements, where needed.
- Coach/mentor direct reports; prioritize development of personal and sales development and training.
Education & Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree with 10-15 years of direct sales/commercial or account management experience in the food industry.
- Master’s degree is a plus but not a requirement.
- Experienced in managing direct reports, and influencing cross-functional stakeholders.
- Direct sales experience in developing account relationships with strategic customers; demonstrated results in growing business with customers and delivering margin growth.
- Demonstrated quantitative skills; ability to quickly learn in a very fast-paced business environment.
- Ability to work independently and also as an effective contributor to the sales team.
- Exercise professional conduct and sound judgment in all areas.
- Experience working with national distributors and chains.
- Travel is expected and required to meet the essential job function. Travel is expected to be up to 50%.
- Business Acumen including quantitative analysis, and financial understanding.
- Communication Proficiency – outstanding communication styles and to different audiences and levels.
- Customer/Client Focus – champion customers to achieve business goals but demonstrate balance for BC needs.
- Leadership - build support for ideas, and projects; leveraging influence within team and cross-functional partners
- Presentation Skills – outstanding oral and written communication, including effective PowerPoint skills
- Problem Solving/Analysis – define problems and identify solutions quickly; capable of implementing by oneself.
- Results Driven – takes personal initiative and demonstrates a bias for action
- Strategic Thinking – define a roadmap for customer growth linking customer priorities with BC capabilities.
- Technical Capacity – learn products, pricing, etc. Ability to leverage this knowledge intelligently with customers.
What you can expect from Barry Callebaut:
- Competitive compensation package including salary, benefits, and vacation time
- Collaborative atmosphere with like-minded individuals who are passionate about chocolate
- The ability to grow your career within an organization that values development and internal career growth
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.