At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
This executive level position will lead and manage all aspects of product management within digital properties for Bank of the West. The position will report directly to the Head of Digital Channels, within the Retail Banking Group. This role is responsible for defining both the short and long term product strategy for the Bank's flagship digital properties in order to increase customer engagement as well frictionless experiences. The role will indirectly be responsible for reduction in physical consumer interactions, and increasing digital adoption across the portfolio.
The Head of Digital Product is an executive role within the Retail banking Group, driving one of the most influential groups within the Bank and will have significant exposure across the enterprise, including the CEO. We are looking for a leader who is capable of reimaging the product practice practice and will inspire and influence digital thought leadership across the enterprise. This role will be responsible for reshaping the thinking and methodology within the team focusing on customer experience and leveraging data to drive decision making. The role has a team of 14+
The incumbent will establish clear product strategy and guidelines, with particular emphasis on developing new artifacts and guidelines. This is a strategic role that also requires the ability to shift into the details. This position works closely with the Marketing, Technology, and Product. The role will also partner closely with the project management office, channel administration, channel sales leadership, and technology organization and key stakeholders. This leader will also be tasked with driving cultural change throughout the enterprise.
Essential Job Functions
Other Job Duties
- A thought leader who inspires, drives, and has the ability to lead a team through cultural and transformational change at enterprise scale
- The leader should have a proven track record of leading large teams through multiple areas of change including: methodology, thought process, and talent management
- Create, define, and manage digital product roadmap, focusing on products and platforms (mobile and online) for all businesses within BOTW (Retail, Small and Medium Enterprise, Wealth, Cash Management, and Personal Finance)
- Role will be responsible and provide oversight to all lines of businesses and their associated digital platforms/portals
- Responsible for re-imagining current product management and delivery methodology with a focus on agile (rapid) transformation
- Responsible for delivering mindset shift of product managers from a project to full product mode, with business driver KPI’s (key performance indicators) which validate bottom line digital contribution across the enterprise
- Growth will be measured in increased engagement on BOTW digital properties, more profitable customers, and larger wallet share in all segments
- Responsible for driving strategy and thought leadership for imagining the build of a standalone flagship mobile app, which will replace the current primary mobile app
- Includes managing feature set, conversation and migration plan, build strategy, and bringing current mobile properties under one umbrella
- Responsible for driving digital prioritization of agile delivery through sound logic, data, and business alignment. Leader should be in continual discussions with business lines and support functions gaining alignment and support on “what” and “how” digital channels builds.
- Required to be an expert in managing and maintaining relationships internally and externally – managing the heartbeat is critical for success in this role
- Drive meaningful cultural change within digital channels and the enterprise with thought leadership and introduction of new level of thinking
- Measurement will be around hiring talent, who can also attract and hire talent
- Responsible for covering and being entrenched in all aspects of digital business, including, but not limited to the lines of business at BOTW.
- Incumbent should also understand and dissect macro level trends within industries and bring thought leadership on how BOTW should position within the digital ecosystem
- Develop fact based, quantitative analysis to support recommendations and ensure strategic digital channels vision is accomplished
- Experience in working in and managing agile methodology and working it into all aspects of product management activities
- Responsible for support and digital product accountability across the organization including: Retail, Wealth, Small Business, Cash Management, and Personal Finance
- Partner with third party providers and industry forums to ensure Bank of the West manages aspects of vendor roadmaps and prioritization exercises
- Manage and lead a team directly and through subordinate managers, including selection, performance management, and resource allocation
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 10 years of increasing responsibility and success creating and leading digital products, with strong emphasis in customer experience/engagement; minimum 5 years of consumer and/or consulting experience successfully leading a design strategy and management team
Expertise in leveraging data, statistics, and research into formulating product management strategy and roadmap
Expertise in understanding product management, including product placement, fees, customer engagement, and deepening digital wallet share
Experience defining and delivering large-scale product initiatives, including requirements gathering, roadmap, and execution
Strong interpersonal and leadership skills to influence and build credibility with functional and regional leaders within Bank of the West and BNPP
Self-starter, team oriented, collaborative, diplomatic, flexible, with excellent presentation skills, including strong oral and writing capabilities
- Bachelor's Degree
Typically requires a University Degree or equivalent experience and minimum 15 years prior relevant experience.
- E1 - 15 yrs Requires advanced business knowledge, general management and leadership capability to lead business or functional teams. Typically has broader practical experience across multiple professional disciplines within the organization, combining theory, past practical experience and the organization’s business practices.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
- Through knowledge of a wide range of analytical tools, business planning financial analysis, asset/liability concepts, price elasticity and pricing tools, as well as market research
- Strong leadership with ability to coach and develop team members
- Ability to handle multiple projects
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.