Take a central role
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be “a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada.” No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very centre of Canada’s economy, in a diverse and inclusive organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. You will be challenged, energized and motivated to excel in an environment where we are reinventing central banking, renewing ways of doing business and reinforcing a culture of innovation.
We’re a small agile team of developers, designers and content specialists. We build minimum viable product, then iterate—always asking how we can make things better for users. We’re genuinely committed to making the Bank’s websites and applications leading-edge and we value experimentation and learning. This opportunity will allow you to expand your portfolio and do the best work of your career.
About the position
As a member of the Web Initiatives Team, you will assist in making Bank’s web application and websites easier to use by improving web publishing processes, application platform and user experience. In short, you will work at enhancing and testing web applications for many sites and statistical tools that power the Bank of Canada's web presence.
Your future responsibilities
- working on a multi disciplinary team critiquing ideas and prototyping new concepts and features
- developing back-end components, connect the applications to each other through web services
- assisting front-end developers by ensuring their work integrates with the application
- creating and maintaining custom plug-ins to support the needs of the Bank of Canada community
- identifying, recommending and implementing better ways of doing things
- writing and maintaining both unit and integration tests
- reviewing other developers code during Agile development cycles
Your education and experience
- a completed college diploma or bachelor’s degree in computer studies, engineering, web design or web programming with a minimum of three years of web development and information design experience, preferably in organizations with a large number of employees
- an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- familiarity with various web frameworks and libraries, such as WordPress, jQuery, Bootstrap etc.
- strong knowledge of version control (SVN or Git, etc.)
- strong knowledge and experience of relational databases (we’re on MySQL)
- demonstrated knowledge of unit testing such as (PHPUnit) and continuous integration (Jenkins)
- knowledge of web standards
- an online portfolio that demonstrates your work
Your knowledge and skills
We’re looking for creative individuals who enjoy collaborating across teams, working in a rapid pace environment, and who are creative in finding solutions that challenge the status quo.
Your technical background includes the following:
- advanced understanding of open source projects like WordPress, Laravel and Symfony
- expertise in back-end development
- experience employing iterative web development and test-driven development
- expertise in and knowledge of common WordPress plug-ins – their use, behaviour, benefits and risks
- ability to maintain a tight schedule
English or French essential
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career.
- Salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $82,300 to $96,000 (job grade 16)
- Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting (5 to 7% of your base salary) or for exceeding expectations (10% of your base salary). Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
- Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health and dental coverage that meets your needs
- Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
- Option to join the indexed, defined-benefit pension plan after 24 consecutive months of service
For more information on key benefits, please visit www.bankofcanada.ca/careers/working-here.
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Secret
- Relocation assistance may be provided, if required
- The official title for this position is “Web Development and Support Specialist”
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.