Take a central role
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be “a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada.” No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very center of Canada’s economy, in a diverse and inclusive organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. You will be challenged, energized and motivated to excel in an environment where we are reinventing central banking, renewing ways of doing business and reinforcing a culture of innovation.
About the position
The Corporate Services – Data and Statistics Office (CS-DSO) ensures that economists and researchers in the monetary policy and financial system departments at the Bank of Canada have easy access to accurate, coherent, relevant, timely and interpretable data, as well as the information technology (IT) tools required to effectively exploit the data. The Data Management & Analytic Environment Support team liaises between the economic departments and the Information Technology Services (ITS) department. In co-operation with ITS, the team plans and coordinates the evolution of IT hardware and software for analytic systems and ensures that IT problems are resolved in a timely manner. The team also provides business system support, support for high performance computing and technical support for the development of economic models.
Your future responsibilities
- design and implement software solutions for international data submission
- lead and participate in the analysis phase by eliciting user needs and requirements
- develop user guide
- deliver training on developed solution
- lead and participate in functional testing, acceptance testing
- contribute to the development, enhancement and support of systems that are used in the core business functions
- act as a liaison to ITS for the business
- maintain collaborative relations with internal clients and external counterparts to support operational objectives
- provide guidance to colleagues, in field of expertise, when required
Your education and experience
- a completed college or university degree (preferably in information technology, economics or statistics) and a minimum of five to ten years of relevant work experience
- an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- a minimum of three years of experience writing production-quality well optimized Python code using modern software engineering principles
- experience with relational databases
- experience working in a Unix or Linux environment
- experience with data analysis
- knowledge of time series databases, for instance FAME
Your knowledge and skills
This role will require you to work with technical specialists and suppliers to ensure that client business needs and requirements are met, set priorities and monitor projects and initiatives, ensuring follow-through and anticipate future opportunities or uncover potential problems and devise plans to address them.
You must have the ability to quickly grasp and analyze complex issues, diagnose multi-dimensional problems and devise insightful/appropriate responses or strategies to address them and have broad knowledge in the areas of system support, application development and business process analysis.
We are looking for a self-starter who is flexible, innovative and able to work independently or in a team environment, with a willingness to share ideas, knowledge and feedback.
You must have strong teamwork and collaboration skills with an ability to work effectively with individuals at all levels, have a high level of tact, including adaptability to changing priorities.
You must have excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to convey information and ideas clearly, succinctly and accurately and know when to probe to gain a broader understanding of the issue or question.
English and French essential (bilingual) with a minimum starting level of functional (level 4) in second official language. Training may be provided to help reach the required level of fully functional (level 5) in second official language.
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career.
- Salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $82,300 to $108,100 (job grade 17)
- Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting (7 to 10% of your base salary) or for exceeding expectations (15% of your base salary). Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
- Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health and dental coverage that meets your needs
- Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
- Option to join the indexed, defined-benefit pension plan after 24 consecutive months of service
For more information on key benefits, please visit www.bankofcanada.ca/careers/working-here.
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Reliability
- There will be no relocation assistance provided
- The official title for this position is “Senior Business Systems Analyst ”
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.