Take a central role
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be “a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada.” No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very center of Canada’s economy, in a diverse and inclusive organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. You will be challenged, energized and motivated to excel in an environment where we are reinventing central banking, renewing ways of doing business and reinforcing a culture of innovation.
Did you know?
The Information Technology Services (ITS) Department delivers a secure, reliable, best-in-class technical environment—providing systems that enable the Bank to carry out its core functions and facilitate billions of dollars’ worth of daily electronic financial transactions. While ITS operations are primarily based in Ottawa, the Bank has established an alternate site for its operations in Calgary, in accordance with resilience best practices.
About the position
ITS is currently seeking a Full stack developer to support the ongoing evolution of the Bank IT systems. The position can be based out of Calgary or in Ottawa. If the position is based out of Calgary, this will require initial training in Ottawa for a period of up to 2 months, with periodic travel between the two sites. Relocation and travel will be provided in accordance with the Bank’s travel and relocation policies.
Initial project assignment will be within the Financial Markets Business Application Services team. This assignment will be 75% development projects and 25% third line support. Critical business applications are re-developed in-house using the latest technologies, including micro services, PaaS development and Angular UI. The existing production system will also need to be supported for the first year. You will be expected to be able to learn the relevant toolsets in order to function in the job. The Bank will provide you with the time, training and expertise to help you learn the tool.
Your future responsibilities
- Participate in all phases of the agile software development life cycle during the re-design and re-write of front-end technologies using Angular
- Configure and extend the toolset to support dev-ops methodology and to meet the transformation project objectives
- Support Quality Assurance efforts including unit test and automated test support for all repositories
- Contribute towards success of the scrum team
- Provide on-the-job training, coaching, guidance and support to Bank employees and application support teams when required
- Working through escalation coming from the front line and second line service desks. provide third-line support, including On-Call, shift and weekend work if required
Your education and experience
- a bachelor’s degree or three-year college Diploma in computer science, software development, or a relevant field with a minimum of five years of relevant work experience in application development and systems integration
- an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Demonstrated experience working with Java JPA ORMs such as Spring Boot and Hibernate
- Demonstrated experience building Single Page Applications
- Demonstrated experience with PaaS layer for hosting microservices (Openshift platform will be an added advantage)
- Working knowledge of integration technologies and frameworks, including WSDL, SOAP, HTTP, Socket, as well as integration platforms such as OSB, ESB, MQ
- Relational database skills (SQL) in a SQL Server environment
- Knowledge of quality assurance automation frameworks and tools
- Hands-on experience with code optimization and performance tuning across application layers
Your knowledge and skills
You are a strong team player and effective communicator who strives for collaboration with cross functional teams. You have the following;
- Demonstrated experience using Angular 4 or higher
- Demonstrated experience with JEE application development (such as JPA, JMS, JTA, JMX)
- Demonstrated experience working with Dev-ops tools, such as Jenkins, Git, GitHub, Docker
- Experience with RESTful service development
- Experience working with Test Driven Development (TDD) and relevant tools such as Junit and Mockito
- Experience working in development projects and operations environment supporting critical applications
English or French essential
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career.
- Salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $82,300 to $96 000 (job grade 16)
- Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting (5 to 7% of your base salary) or for exceeding expectations (10% of your base salary). Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
- Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health, dental disability and life and/or accident insurance coverage that meets your needs
- Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
- Indexed, defined-benefit pension
For more information on key benefits, please visit www.bankofcanada.ca/careers/working-here.
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Secret
- Relocation assistance may be provided, if required
- The official title for this position is “Developer ”
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.