Take a central role
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be “a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada.” No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very center of Canada’s economy, in a diverse and inclusive organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. You will be challenged, energized and motivated to excel in an environment where we are reinventing central banking, renewing ways of doing business and reinforcing a culture of innovation.
As a member of the Web Initiatives Team, you’ll assist in making our website easier to use by improving software platform, user experience and web publishing processes. In short, you will work at enhancing and testing web applications for the many sites and statistical tools that power the Bank of Canada's web presence, including bankofcanada.ca, credit.bankofcanada.ca and bankofcanadamuseum.ca.
We’re a small agile team of developers, designers and content specialists. We build minimum viable product, then iterate—always asking how we can make things better for users. We’re genuinely committed to making the Bank’s websites leading-edge and we value experimentation and learning. This opportunity will allow you to expand your portfolio and do the best work of your career.
Your future responsibilities
- working on a multi disciplinary team critiquing ideas and prototyping new concepts and features
- identifying, recommending and implementing better ways of doing things
- creating and maintaining custom plug-ins to support the needs of the Bank of Canada community
- writing and maintaining both unit and integration tests
- documenting and testing your code
- reviewing other developers code for quality and reliability
- supporting our web operations on a day-to-day basis
Your knowledge and skills
We’re looking for creative individuals who enjoy collaborating across teams, working in a rapid pace environment, and who are creative in finding solutions that challenge the status quo.
Your technical background includes the following:
- experience employing iterative web development and test-driven development, particularly Scrum and continuous integration
- LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) application development experience
- expertise in and knowledge of common WordPress plug-ins – their use, behaviour, benefits and risks
- expertise in front-end development
- ability to maintain a tight schedule and to work overtime without notice
- ability to communicate effectively in both official languages
- familiarity with various frameworks and libraries (Bootstrap, jQuery, etc)
- experience with relational databases (we’re on MySQL)
- demonstrated knowledge of unit testing (PHPUnit) and continuous integration (Jenkins)
- knowledge of web standards
- knowledge of version control (SVN, Git, etc.)
- an online portfolio that demonstrates your work
Your education and experience
- a completed college diploma or bachelor’s degree in computer studies, engineering, web design or web programming
- a minimum of three years of web development and information design experience, preferably in organizations with a large number of employees
- an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
English or French essential
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career.
- Salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $69,100 to $85,200 (job grade 15)
- Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting (5 to 7% of your base salary) or for exceeding expectations (10% of your base salary). Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
- Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health and dental coverage that meets your needs
- Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
- Option to join the indexed, defined-benefit pension plan after 24 consecutive months of service
For more information on key benefits, please visit www.bankofcanada.ca/careers/working-here.
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Reliability
- There will be no relocation assistance provided
- The official title for this position is “Web Development Consultant ”
- Interviews will be scheduled as early as March 18, 2019.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.