Take a central role
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be “a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada.” No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very center of Canada’s economy, in a diverse and inclusive organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. You will be challenged, energized and motivated to excel in an environment where we are reinventing central banking, renewing ways of doing business and reinforcing a culture of innovation.
Did you know?
By working on the Network and Communications infrastructure, you will have the opportunity to work on and with the latest software-defined data centre (SDDC) and cloud infrastructure components.
About the position
The Information Technology Services (ITS) Department delivers a secure, reliable, best-in-class technical environment—providing systems that enable the Bank to carry out its core functions and facilitate billions of dollars’ worth of daily electronic financial transactions. While ITS operations are primarily based in Ottawa, the Bank is in the process of establishing a new alternate site for its operations in Calgary, in accordance with resilience best practices. ITS is currently seeking a Connectivity Specialist position for the Infrastructure Support division for its Calgary site. This position will require initial training in Ottawa for a period of up to 8 months, with periodic travel between the two sites. Relocation and travel will be provided in accordance with the Bank’s travel and relocation policies.
Reporting to the Assistant Director, Infrastructure Support, you will have on site responsibility in the event of a critical incident and will have standard network support responsibilities during non-emergency times. You are responsible for the administration and support and capacity planning of all network devices, Mobile Device Management (MDM), Microsoft Exchange Server, SharePoint and Skype. You also provide direct technical support for all requirements in the coordination and implementation of releases or changes to the network hardware and software range of products that support the testing and production environments. Other key responsibilities include the identification and resolution of hardware and software technical problems and malfunctions with respect to the network and related devices as well as support for network design activities on projects. This position also requires being available for on-call, overtime and/or a variable work schedule based on operational requirements.
Your future responsibilities
- lead or participate in the planning, design and implementation of relevant architecture, hardware, software and customized software changes
- ensure that the network solution is current with stable and supported versions of software and hardware products, and that operations run smoothly. Where there are incidents, participate in root-cause analysis, help derive permanent solutions to complex problems, and proactively identify, design and implement solutions to repair troublesome trends as they develop
- responsible for analysis, troubleshooting and repair of incidents, find solutions and make appropriate judgments and quick decisions regarding critical incidents
- monitor systems performance and service levels and share on-call responsibilities among team members, and act as the last level of support in ensuring that expected client service levels are maintained
- provide expert advice and guidance on: network, Local Area Network/Wide Area Network (LAN/WAN) concepts, including high-availability design to meet stringent service levels; policies on network evergreening and upgrades to ensure that the environments are proactively managed and not exposing the Bank to the risk of obsolete or unsupported network components; standards and guidelines on solution design, operational processes and procedures, etc.
- cable hardware and coordinate cabling activities for the site
- basic support of platform elements (Windows, storage) within the site
Your education and experience
- bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or related discipline
- minimum three years supporting critical Cisco-based network environments
- minimum two years supporting Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint and Skype servers
- an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
Your knowledge and skills
- knowledge of Cisco IOS (internetwork operating system), Cisco Nexus OS, Check Point firewall appliance, F5 load balancers and Infoblox DNS appliance
- performance and capacity planning experience
- advanced understanding of network platforms and internetworking architectures
- expert knowledge of virtual local area networks (VLANs), routers, switches, network protocols, e.g., IP, Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS), Internet Protocol Security (IPSec),
- general understanding of virtual private network (VPN) concentrators, Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) and Domain Name System (DNS)
- implementing and managing Microsoft Exchange and Sharepoint
- ability to rank tasks per priority, meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks concurrently
- ability to work effectively and maintain positive and co-operative working relationships with the other team members and IT teams
- willingness to seek colleagues’ views and opinions, contribute toward team goals and readily partner with others to get the work done.
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) designation
- experience implementing and managing vSphere infrastructure platform
- experience implementing or managing Microsoft Exchange and Skype
- experience with Windows 2008/2012 Server infrastructure (Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, File and Print)
- Cat6, Cat6A, OM4 and SM2 fibre and cabling
- monitoring power consumption and distribution within a data centre
- configuring and deploying KVM and console servers, demonstrated technical understanding of Windows, storage platforms and internetworking architectures, as well as web computing architectures
English or French essential
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career.
- Starting salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $82,300 to $96,000 (job grade 16)
- Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting (5 to 7% of your base salary) or for exceeding expectations (10% of your base salary). Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
- Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health, dental disability and life and/or accident insurance coverage that meets your needs
- Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
- Indexed, defined-benefit pension
For more information on key benefits, please visit www.bankofcanada.ca/careers/working-here.
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Secret
- Relocation assistance will be provided in accordance with Bank policy
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.