Take a central role
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be “a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada.” No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very center of Canada’s economy, in a diverse and inclusive organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. You will be challenged, energized and motivated to excel in an environment where we are reinventing central banking, renewing ways of doing business and reinforcing a culture of innovation.
About the position
The purpose of the Business Analysis and Policy Development (BAPD) team is to guide key long-term business decisions by developing sound policy rationale through rigorous analysis and leveraging broad business knowledge to meet the needs of the Currency Department and stakeholders.
As an Analyst within our team, you conduct basic research and analysis and provide general project support to the Senior and Principal Analysts. This role requires applying conceptual thinking to help develop sound principles and policies to support the Currency function.
Your future responsibilities
- gather and analyze operational data/information to report on business operations, identify irregularities and minimize operational risk
- apply standard analytic processes and techniques in analyzing Bank business to identify opportunities for improvement and ensure that standards are adhered to
- investigate trends and irregularities to identify causes and options for consideration that are then assessed by more senior colleagues
- conduct analyses, assess alternatives, make sound recommendations to Senior and Principal Analysts, write reports and present results as required
- monitor the application of departmental or corporate strategies, policies or programs to ensure ongoing alignment with strategic objectives
- contribute to the preparation of reports, meeting minutes, presentations and relevant business cases to demonstrate the value of a new approach and/or policy
- seek opportunities to integrate other work disciplines/fields or expertise, where appropriate, to ensure effective delivery of strategies
- under the guidance of the Director, conduct project post-mortems and finalize documentation
- participate in projects and provide analytic support to projects using qualitative or quantitative methodologies
Your education and experience
- bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline (e.g., business, finance, economics)
- one or two years of relevant experience in the research and analysis fields
- an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- ability to communicate effectively in both official languages
- ability to participate in overlapping projects or areas of responsibility
Your knowledge and skills
- can assess and analyze evolving situations, to define problems and coordinate and/or conduct appropriate research, to synthesize results to draw logical conclusions and implement change in a creative and innovative manner
- possess working understanding of forecasting/modelling practice and financial reporting
- possess excellent oral and written communication skills; demonstrated experience generating written reports (analysis papers, policy papers, research papers, briefing notes, recommendations, project summaries, work plans, procedures and methodologies) that are adapted to the needs of targeted clients/audiences
- be a team player who can develop and maintain good relationships with the ability to share expertise, provide constructive feedback and contribute ideas
- possess an underlying curiosity and desire to know more about things, people or issues; ability to press for exact information, resolve discrepancies by asking a series of questions or carry out less-focused environmental scanning for potential opportunities
- be proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, Word at an intermediate level
English or French essential
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career.
- Starting salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $57,100 to $66,600 (job grade 13)
- Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting (3 to 5% of your base salary) or for exceeding expectations (7% of your base salary). Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
- Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health and dental coverage that meets your needs
- Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
- Option to join the indexed, defined-benefit pension plan after 24 consecutive months of service
For more information on key benefits, please visit www.bankofcanada.ca/careers/working-here.
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Reliability
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.