Do you have a desire to invent innovative solutions that will facilitate an entirely renewable and sustainable future? Do you enjoy working in a collaborative environment with world-class experts?
As a Material Scientist you will be a vital part of Avalon's Technology Team, working from the company's technical headquarters in Vancouver, BC. Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer the ideal candidate is someone who has passion for technology development, with interest and experience in electrochemistry, materials development and accelerated testing.
As a Material Scientist you will be responsible for:
- Electrochemical testing and development of Avalon's future flow battery materials, subsystems, and core technologies
- Development of test methods, design of experiments and execution of accelerated testing of next generation core technology
- Creation and use of mathematical models for statistical analysis of field data using Excel, Matlab, etc.
- Developing, leading, and executing focused R&D programs via collaboration with industry and academic partners
- Review and development of IP, including patent filings process
Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of reaction kinetics in carbon media and ion selective membranes
- Hands-on experience with electroanalytical techniques and experimental equipment: potentiometry, cyclic voltammetry, electrical impedance spectroscopy.
- Expert knowledge of methods for battery testing, especially flow battery test methods, techniques, and current state of technologies
- Expert knowledge in both first principal and block modelling of electrochemical system performance
- Previous experience in a technology start-up environment would be an asset.
- A Ph.D. in Electrochemistry, Chemistry, or Materials Science
- Minimum five years of experience in PEM fuel cells or flow battery technology development
- Expert knowledge in electro-chemistry fundamentals, computer modelling, and hands-on experimental development.
- Proven ability to plan and manage own activities to deliver on budget and schedule
- Excellent interpersonal and ability to communicate complex technology issues in a clear, concise manner.
- Highly motivated with Interest and ability to thrive in a technology start-up environment
Job Type: Full-time
- PEM fuel cells: 5 years (Preferred)