Position: Senior Developer (Contract) Location: Burnaby, BC
Status: Full-time, 1-Year Contract Closing Date: Open until filled
What is the job?
Reporting to and collaborating with the Manager, IS Solutions and Knowledge Delivery, the Senior Developer is responsible for the delivery of IS projects and mentorship of intermediate and junior developers.
- Designs, develops and tests data models, code, GUIs, and reports needed to implement business solutions; performs unit, system, and integration testing, assists with end user testing.
- Ensures data can be accessed efficiently and in a secure fashion; understands system boundaries and uses appropriate mechanisms to access the associated data; understands the current data and future data architecture and assists with the incremental transformation.
- Works with business stakeholders to review, analyze and evaluate business processes, systems and user needs; proposes technology solutions and business process modifications to manager or project leader; documents requirements and test cases for system development and business processes.
- Provides technical direction, review, and coaching of intermediate and junior developers to build quality solutions that satisfy business needs by describing technical solutions, providing technically complete programming examples, leading brainstorming session related to data models and technical designs, defining testing requirements, and performing coding reviews. Is well versed on software development, tools, architectures and data technology; brings emerging trends and opportunities to the attention of the team and manager. Ensures that Best Practices are followed to produce quality systems and an effective team.
- Provides effort based estimates for enhancements. Creates work package plans for self and others that list tasks and their estimated effort to deliver project goals. Updates own plans weekly with progress. Reviews other developer's updates for issues and provides recommendations to mitigate plan impact. Reports to manager weekly on own project plans and other developer' plans related to same projects.
- Assists business partners in the transformation of data into knowledge by providing assistance with reports; has an understanding of the underlying data.
- May be required to investigate if off-the-shelf packaged systems exist to satisfy business requirements; define interfaces needed to integrate packaged solution; understands what system will be the master of duplicate data; resolves authentication and authorization issues between packaged and enterprise systems.
- Participates in the support and problem resolution of existing systems; assists in the administration of infrastructure, resolution of partner issues, and the deployment of services to end users.
Who are we looking for?
- Related diploma required; bachelor's degree in Computer Science preferred
- 2 years' experience leading a technical group of software developers and defining and implementing reports to extract knowledge from data
- 5 years' experience working in a technical development environment delivering enterprise solutions and defining, coding, testing and deploying technical solutions implemented in .NET
The position will require the successful candidate to demonstrate that he or she has:
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to lead technical developers on a project where incremental agile delivery is occurring
- Ability to assist manager in building a trusting relationship with business partners where solutions involve technical implementations as well as business process re-engineering
- Skills associated with assisting manager to manage business partner's expectation, understanding and re-engineering business processes, identifying true business requirements and designing appropriate technical solutions
Who are we?
Engineers and Geoscientists BC is responsible for the licensing and regulation of BC's professional engineers and geoscientists. With over 34,000 members, we are the second largest regulatory body in the province. We offer a compensation package that includes a competitive salary, generous benefit program including a group health program, group retirement program, generous vacation allowances, and a flex day program that offers compressed workweeks.