Excellence Leaves a Lasting Impression: Bring Your Vision to shape a better world.
At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways — engineering, planning, designing, and consulting on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We aim to deliver technical excellence, innovation, and value to clients, while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better world. The firm opened its first office over 70 years ago and now employs 14,000 people globally. Since its founding in 1946, members of Arup have developed transformative ways of working. Adapting to the ever changing environment, our work is focused on ambitiously reimagining a sustainable and resilient future for cities. Arup is rising to these new challenges: by bringing together broad-minded individuals from a wide range of disciplines, investing in research, innovating and creating better solutions for clients and the wider world.
MassMotion is a world leading group of products which enables users to simulate and visualize pedestrian movement within public spaces from train stations and airports to shopping malls and sports venues. The existing software uses advanced agent based modelling techniques.
The Senior Software Engineer will work closely with the MassMotion Development Lead to enhance and improve the product through research and development of computational methods related to 3D crowd simulation and analysis including the use of AI/ML techniques, agent based modelling and cloud computing capability.
The post holder will be responsible for developing new features for MassMotion and new offerings within the pedestrian simulation product portfolio. Main duties will include:
- Designing, implementing, and maintaining significant components of the MassMotion codebase/architecture and other products within the Pedestrian Simulation product suite.
- Determining the technical strategies and methods to be used in executing parts of the MassMotion/Pedestrian Simulation development roadmap
- Maintaining the integrity of the MassMotion code base through: Code reviews, Version control, Issue tracking, Documentation, and Testing
- On-going direct development of the MassMotion software
- Keeping knowledge current through reading and conference attendance
- Responding to elevated user-support requests
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or similar
- 2-5 years of C++ development in a team environment
- 2 years of experience in high performance 3D programming
- Experience in database design and programming, cloud based development, or simulation is a definite asset
- Experience with agent based modelling would be an advantage
- Proven ability to participate and contribute to complex software projects
- High degree of organization and technical rigour
- Great oral and written communication skills
- Great team working skills
- You will possess a natural curiosity for all things technical
- You will be creative and inventive in your approach to problem solving
- You will be flexible in your approach to problem solving as you understand that there are multiple technical and commercial drivers for software development
- You will be eager to take on new challenges and look for opportunities to improve current solutions on your own
- You will be able to teach and guide junior staff in coding best practice and promote their professional development
Share your passion and experience in a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is endless. This is your opportunity to shine.
Arup offers an outstanding benefits package including healthcare, GRRSP match, time off and profit share.
Arup is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.