Excellence Leaves a Lasting Impression: Bring Your Vision to shape a better world.
At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways — engineering, planning, designing, and consulting on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We aim to deliver technical excellence, innovation, and value to clients, while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better world. The firm opened its first office over 70 years ago and now employs 13,000 people globally. Since its founding in 1946, members of Arup have developed transformative ways of working. Adapting to the ever changing environment, our work is focused on ambitiously reimagining a sustainable and resilient future for cities. Arup is rising to these new challenges: by bringing together broad-minded individuals from a wide range of disciplines, investing in research, innovating and creating better solutions for clients and the wider world.
Our Toronto Office is currently seeking a Rail Systems Engineer with an electrical engineering, systems and/or technology background to work as part of a multidisciplinary team engaged in the design and delivery of rail communication, IT and security systems. The ideal candidate will support rail and ITC system engineers based at our Toronto office and particularly in relation to both local and international rail infrastructure projects. The successful candidate will provide support and advice to other Arup teams on rail system and system engineering issues in general but have specialist areas of expertise from detailed system and architecture design, system modelling to Safety system design and assessment, EMC, Assurance and RAMS issues.
- Lead/support system engineering activities for feasibility, outline and detailed design of rail systems
- Producing Rail Communications Systems design / consultancy for projects
- Provide Signaling Systems consultancy for projects
- Good understanding of rail assurance regimes and their processes
- Production of system architecture models
- Able to demonstrate a good understanding of TCS and also, in the context of its implementation environment (e.g. telecoms systems and existing signaling systems infrastructure, Train and signaler operations, testing and commissioning etc.)
- Experience in rail control systems implementation (at the development, design, testing or commissioning level)
- Produce and manage the production of system design calculations, system specification development, drawings, plans, reports writing and other deliverables
- Development of master specifications for systems (division 27 and 28)
- Responsible for checking the system engineering and design output of others
- Coordinate and liaise with external parties in producing engineering deliverables
- RAMS and Systems Assurance capabilities.
- Knowledge of EN standards
- Systems integration consultancy including technology master planning
- Post construction services including in some cases system commissioning, represent Arup when witnessing site integration testing and acceptance activities
- Communicate with clients to establish their requirements
- Able to quickly develop successful client relationships
- Help win work for the Firm by producing persuasive proposals and bid documentation
- Other relevant duties as required.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in the rail consulting and technology design industries (related engineering disciplines such as Electrical Engineering considered).
- Demonstrable understanding and experience of technology in the infrastructure and built environment including the challenges of construction and system integration
- Excellent interpersonal skills will be needed to develop and maintain effective relationships with clients, Architects, Engineers, Contractors and other team members
- Excellent planning and organization skills required for our fast-paced environment, and must be proactive and willing to take on new challenges and learn on the fly
- Able to demonstrate strong engineering skills and knowledge
- Able to work independently with minimum supervision
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet strict deadlines is essential
- Excellent communications skills (both written and verbal)
- Highly motivated and willing to take on new challenges
- Proven ability to work with incomplete information and manage unclear or conflicting requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related technology field.
- Good Electrical, Electronic or Systems Degree (PEng or equivalent) recognized by the IET (or similar Institution) and Chartered Engineer status
- Familiar and experienced in working with Microsoft Office products, and drafting tools such as AutoCad and Microstation
- Good knowledge of Engineering Safety Management (The Yellow Book / iESM)
- Capability / experience working in ISA/IV&V roles
- Experience in Operations and Maintenance (O&M)
- Design of IT and Communication (ITC) systems including such as structured cabling, wired and wireless voice and data networks, control systems and general applications of technology to the built environment
- Preparation of drawings detailing the systems in AutoCAD, Microstation and Revit (3D) (with support from junior team members)
- Leading the delivery of ITC projects as necessary
- Experience with Ontario Public Private Procurement project methodology
Share your passion and experience in a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is endless. This is your opportunity to shine.
Arup offers an outstanding benefits package including healthcare, GRRSP match, time off and profit share. Arup is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.