Analyst, Health Information Management, Region of Waterloo
Length: Temporary Full-Time (for up to 24 months)
Salary/Wage: $61,770.80 – $77,222.60 per annum/$33.94 – $42.43 per hour
Location: 99 Regina St. S., Waterloo
Description of Duties:
Leads the development and implementation of the department’s health information and privacy management program. Facilitates the application and administration of provisions relating to the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA), Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), Orders of the Information & Privacy Commissioner of Ontario (IPC) and related requirements of the Ontario Public Health Organizational Standards, as they apply to health information management. Coordinates the department’s work related to the Region’s Information Classification System (ICS) and Retention and Disposal Schedule (R&DS). Provides related training and advisory services.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of health information management, normally acquired through a post-secondary degree or diploma in a related field (e.g., Applied Health Information Science, Health Information Management Technology) plus a related certificate (e.g., Health Information Management, Certified Records Manager, Certified Information Privacy Professional/Canada) plus progressively responsible related experience.
- Eligibility for registration with the Canadian Health Information Management Association (CHIMA).
- Comprehensive knowledge of Ontario and Canadian privacy laws including PHIPA, MFIPPA, and other applicable legislation.
- Knowledge of information management systems and procedures (e.g., in a health setting); data collection, coding or classification; data analysis and use; information and records management. Understanding of processes to maintain paper and electronic records, and ability to work with other professionals to develop, deploy, and maintain hybrid health records. Detailed understanding of the contents of Regional records and the department’s functions and work processes to determine the nature, function, and value of recorded information holdings.
- Human relations, negotiation, and communication skills to provide advice to departmental staff regarding health information management systems; initiate change to systems, procedures, technology; recognize reluctance or resistance to change and develop cooperative efforts; instruct/train staff in specific programs, work methods or procedures; and participate as an effective team member. Ability to communicate with clarity, diplomacy and discretion when interacting with clients and colleagues andeducate others and facilitate change.
- Project management experience and organizational skills to work independently under general supervision, coordinate project team activities, prioritize own work and manage overlapping and often conflicting deadlines, prepare schedules, determine priorities, meet deadlines, and track and monitor changing needs.
- Computer skills with knowledge of software, including MS Office; knowledge of specialized electronic document management and records management software.
- Ability to travel to various locations within Waterloo Region.
- Ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
- Reads and identifies documents and information contained in program files and record information. Writes reports to management. Prepares/develops classification systems and retention and disposal schedule updates, procedures manuals, instructions, and technical directives. Provides on-site technical support for the EDMS.
- Elicits information from staff regarding needs and record handling practices, and from vendors regarding products. Explains design and application of the ICS and the R&DS and technical and technological requirements and issues to assist staff to understand and develop information management techniques. Researches, prepares and responds to inquiries.
- Develops and conducts orientation, training, and presentations to staff at all levels.
Please apply on-line at www.regionofwaterloo.ca by September 9, 2015, quoting position # 2015-1576.
Thank you for your interest in this job, but we will only be corresponding with you if you are selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact Human Resources and Citizen Service Reception at phone number(519-575-4757 ext. 3527), TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.