Our IT team is seeking a talented Senior Systems Administrator to help support our growing business.
You'll be a key member of a small agile team that builds & maintains the IT environment at AppNeta. This role covers a vast number of responsibilities including end user computing devices, servers, virtualization, networking, security, communications, cloud infrastructure and of course AppNeta's own AppNeta Performance Manager. So be prepared to get your hands on
At AppNeta, we're all about application and network performance monitoring, so having a solid networking skillset will be important. You don't need to be a CCNA, but you certainly should be comfortable with assisting a Developer with debugging a network issue and with using Wireshark.
- A detail-oriented person with proven troubleshooting skills.
- Able to take ownership of an issue or project and see it through to completion.
- Able to work in a fast paced environment and manage multiple priorities at once.
- Open to asking for advice when you're unsure.
- Able to work with minimal supervision.
- Provide first-rate internal support to all departments within the organization.
- Design, install, administer, and troubleshoot core systems running Windows Server, Debian and Ubuntu in physical and virtualized environments (VMware (vCenter, vSAN) / KVM / AWS EC2 / Docker).
- Administer and maintain Active Directory infrastructure, including user account maintenance.
- Perform backup and recovery operations.
- Manage and maintain our 100GigE core network, edge switches, wireless networks, firewalls, VPNs, switches, routers, etc.
- Manage cloud infrastructure and SaaS applications.
- Support employee client systems on Windows and Mac.
- Assist our product development teams with building lab environments, as well as implementing network
enhancements to support product feature requirements.
- Ensure strong network security is in place at all times, including the installation of security patches and anti-virus
software, as well as securely configuring firewalls, web and applications servers.
- Documentation for the IT infrastructure.
- Bachelor's degree in Computing Science or a related degree, or equivalent education and work experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in client hardware and software support including Windows 7 / 10 and Mac OS X.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience supporting server grade hardware and software, including Windows 2008 and onwards, Ubuntu and Debian in physical and virtualized environments. (VMware / KVM / AWS EC2 / Docker)
- Excellent working knowledge and understanding of IP network protocols such as ARP, TCP, UDP and ICMP. Aswell as network services such as DNS, DHCP, LDAP and SMTP.
- Experience with the installation, configuration and maintenance of network hardware such as Cisco routers, HPE switches and Aerohive wireless, including configuring VLANs, routing and IPv6.
- Experience in the implementation and administration of Active Directory, database servers (MS SQL / MySQL), web servers (IIS / Apache / NGINX), email servers (Gmail / SMTP servers), WSUS, Backup Exec, Veeam.
- A solid understanding of network security using systems such as Juniper firewalls, OpenVPN and Sophos Endpoint Protection.
- Google G Suite Administration.
- Video conferencing experience with GoToMeeting, Hangouts or a similar service.
- Scripting in PowerShell, Python or Bash.
- Occasional after-hours availability.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Experience working with one or more of the following would be a benefit:
- Amazon Web Services - EC2 / EBS / S3 / Cloudfront / SES / IAM
- JIRA, GitHub, Chef, VoIP, SDWAN
- Experience in a software development environment
AppNeta's SaaS-based solutions give Development, DevOps, and IT Operations teams essential performance data to see across their web, mobile, and cloud-delivered application environments as well as pinpoint tough performance bottlenecks. With AppNeta, customers have all of the performance data they need to assure continual and exceptional delivery of business-critical applications and end-user experience.
At AppNeta, we take application performance seriously without taking ourselves too seriously. We are big believers in a work hard, play hard culture. We offer everything from Friday catered lunch and free snacks to commuter benefits and Maternity/Paternity leave, and pride ourselves on providing a challenging yet fun and collaborative environment in all three of our office locations. For more on our company culture, perks, and benefits check out our website: https://www.appneta.com/about/careers/.
About AppNeta's office locations:
- Vancouver: One block from Waterfront Station in the heart of historic Gastown, AppNeta's Vancouver office is home to our Product, Engineering and Customer Success teams. We are centrally located; convenient to all of Vancouver's transit services and bike routes, being a bike friendly office.
- Boston: Located just steps from South Station in the heart of the Innovation District, AppNeta's Boston office is home to our Sales, Marketing, Customer Success, Engineering, Product and G&A teams.