Full time Senior Data Engineer position available for our client in Toronto. with minimum of 2 years of experience in data engineering.
The Sr. Data Engineer will play a key role in full life cycle of software and data engineering development that supports key research and data science projects undertaken by the group.This role will have an opportunity to work on all aspects of supporting the analytics data structure, ETL processes, and working closely with analysts and data scientists conducting research and analytics on market structure related issues.
- Gather, structure, and process billions of records, from multiple sources, at scale.
- Develop and maintain algorithms and libraries with a clear focus on building software that is efficient and salable.
- Actively participate in developing and maintaining core analytics infrastructure including maintenance of code repositories, participating in code reviews, architecting, and data modeling.
- Design and implement technical enhancements of Data Warehouse, Business Intelligence, or Big Data solutions as required.
- Work with relational databases and Big Data framework, including HDFS, Map-Reduce, Hive, Hbase, Sqoop, Spark, etc.
- Direct and oversee special projects as requested by the VP and lead data scientist, and support business decisions with ad-hoc analysis as required.
- Provide mentorship to team members in the areas of Big Data, software design, architecture, and development.
- BSc or MSc in computer sciences, computer engineering or related fields.
Key Skills and Competencies:
- Exceptional knowledge of programming languages such as Java, Python, and SQL.
- Strong experience in working with the Hadoop Big Data framework, with exceptional understanding of HDFS, and hands-on experience writing Map-Reduce and Spark jobs, Hive and Hbase queries.
- Experience in Agile methodologies: design, implement, and test reliable, secure, and high quality code; provide regular feedback to other team members through a peer code review process, and communicate effectively on progress and potential risks; write documentation to describe application design and functionality.
- Creative problem solver, with exceptional ability to analyze in an ongoing manner trends and changes in capital markets and the financial industry that may impact the Canadian marketplaces.
- Strong working knowledge of the functioning of the capital markets and securities industry, including a deep understanding of trading systems, practices, and market activities is an asset.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent