PRIMARY POSITION DESCRIPTION
POSITION TITLE: Associate Buyer – Global Buying
REPORTS TO: Sr. Director- Global Buying
Curates a commercially viable geo-channel assortment for AEO and aerie in conjunction with Omni-merchandising team, Global Product Operations, Design and Production to meet the competitive and commercial needs of all International markets. Manage and spearhead in-season and future assortment strategy and opportunity with the cross functional teams’ partnership.
- Partners with Sr. Director of Global Buying and Brand Management to ensure product strategies are in line with overall business strategy.
- In-season manages the business through weekly business analysis and recaps.
- Makes recommendations to our partners due to changes in trend and business in order to maximize sales/margin opportunities.
- Roadmap ownership in collaboration with Global Product Operations, Omni-Merchandising and Design.
o Understands weekly/monthly business trends and utilizes this in conjunction with geo expertise to influence seasonal roadmap
o Collaboratively working with the AEO & Aerie cross functional team to understand seasonal design direction, leading product ideas, and trend
o Identifies key item opportunities to grow the business through product testing and hindsight
o Understands regional business trends with the support of the geography and partner Buying teams to ensure key business drivers are available to support the business
o Innovate through trend ideas which allow AEO to lead and compete within the global market
o Partner with Brand Management and partners to brief programs for peak international business opportunities by market, ex: CNY, Passover, Ramadan
o Understand climate requirements by market, such as reverse seasonality, and build into the strategy
- Ensure product assortment is commercially viable and aligned with AEO Brands’ seasonal vision:
o Direct and drive seasonal buy conversations during International Market through business and geography expertise
o Lab store build out in partnership with CFT
o Key looks presentation
o Seasonal marketing/window concept
o Full product detail to be presented by fixture/product category
o Curated “must have” list by category to ensure business productivity and growth
o Where applicable, mapping will be provided for small/mid/large format locations to ensure ideas are intact as presented
o Support warm and cold climates with appropriate assortment extensions
o Support materials and buying tools to be provided to all teams, ie: line sheets, color palettes, Global Buy Sheet set-up
o Continued innovation in the buying experience
- Communication of assortment strategy to International partners at all points within the season:
o Pre-Season: Roadmap direction, cc counts by category, grow/maintain/decline categories, US financials (where appropriate) in conjunction with milestone meetings
o In-Season: Product change communication to all partners which includes chase additions, drops, chase category product detail (C&S knits, graphics)
- Clear understanding of AEO market presence globally through store and market visits, understanding of international competition and pricing architecture
- Identification of gaps within the existing assortment architecture and pricing strategy utilizing competitive analysis and resources
- Ownership of the corporate product calendar; communication of all changes to the International team
- Establishing alignment within the calendar and product cycle to ensure it remains global in nature, create improvement and find enhancements, partnership with the DMMs to identify best practices
- Key accountabilities in role are:
o Total sales
o International exclusive product sales
o Margin performance (COO & franchise where possible)
o Receipt management
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion Merchandising, Business, or equivalent required
- 3-5 years prior buying experience from a specialty retailer
- Experience leading global buying for a mix of company owned, license and wholesale models.
- Positive and passionate individual will be most successful in this and future roles
- Understanding of fashion designer labels and how to interpret their seasonal stories/messages for the AE & Aerie customer both domestically and internationally. Keen sense of fashion exhibited through personal taste.
- Excellent analytical and creative skills to challenge the planning and design sides of the organization, successfully work with License partners’ creative and analytical teams.
- Demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy (coolness and composure under strain, confidence without arrogance)
- Risk Taker - Carefully considers risk/reward, ready to try new ways of doing things to improve learning
- Forward Thinking/Innovative – Not satisfied with the status quo, ahead of the times, advanced views, creating something like nothing done or experienced before
- Persuasive - Ability to work with and influence peers and senior management. Able to motivate others through the appropriate use of interpersonal styles and communication methods to gain acceptance of a product, service, or idea
- Strategic – Possesses the ability to conceptualize and understand risks facing a business as well as the ability to create a strategy surrounding a specific opportunity. Build creative solutions and plans that meet objectives and maximize impact
- High degree of proficiency MS Office Suite, Outlook & Internet applications
- Demonstrated collaborative skills and ability to work well within a team
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment
- Self-motivated with critical attention to detail, deadlines and reporting
- Travel is required, including International travel once or twice per quarter