The Lead Cashier is responsible for positively impacting the customer’s shopping experience by effectively training and supervising other Cashiers and providing feedback to the leadership team regarding their performance. Assists store leadership in leading cash and wrap operations to ensure maximum accuracy, efficiency and compliance with company procedures. The Lead Cashier is expected to role model AEO values and AEO Customer First behaviors in all actions and interactions in order to create a positive Customer First experience.
POSITION TITLE: Lead Cashier
REPORTS TO: Store Management Team
STATUS: Full Time or Part Time
- Lead role in training and coaching other Cashiers on AEO Customer First behaviors and technical/functional skills needed to positively impact sales and meet established goals.
- Communicate clear priorities and productivity goals to Cashiers and hold team and self accountable for achieving them.
- Provide store management with productivity updates; proactively identify and communicate Cashier performance issues.
- Champion internal recognition and company contests.
- In partnership with store management, assist in opening and closing procedures per company policies and guidelines.
- Ensure AE Rewards Card and AE Credit Cards are promoted to all customers.
- Coordinate scheduled breaks to maximize productivity and comply with company and legal requirements.
- Perform register sales transactions quickly and accurately in accordance with established cash control procedures and customer service guidelines.
- Ensure cash and wrap is clean, neat, organized and stocked with necessary supplies.
- Ensure return merchandise is restocked to the correct product location on the sales floor; all damaged and defective merchandise is properly labeled and placed in appropriate area at the end of each shift.
- Resolve customer concerns in a manner consistent with company policy, and with customer satisfaction in mind; partner with store leadership team on elevated customer issues.
- Provide feedback on improvement opportunities and obstacles regarding cash and wrap organization; identify and communicate cash and wrap staffing and supply needs to a member of management.
- Ensure that associates assigned to the cash and wrap consistently follow all policies and procedures including established safety procedures; communicate any policy violation to the leadership team in a timely manner.
- Communicate all employee accidents/injuries to store leadership immediately.
- Support store and company level strategies to reduce shrink; observe and monitor for signs of shrink and advise management of any unusual internal or external activity.
- Understand and adhere to all company policy and procedures.
- Lead Cashier should be scheduled for peak volume shifts. Only able to perform Lead Cashier functions when specifically scheduled as a Lead Cashier shift.
- Provide direction and supervision of cash and wrap operations
- Authorize refunds registered by Cashiers under their supervision during their assigned shifts. If a Lead Cashier actually rings a return on the register, then a member of management would need to authorize, Lead Cashiers cannot authorize their own transaction.
- Authorize post voids in accordance with AEO Policy.
- Register Employee Purchases in accordance with the AEO Discount Policy
- Authorized to verify and sign the deposit slip once a member of Store Management has also verified and signed the deposit slip
- Is NOT authorized to review, organize and assemble the final nightly media, including the identification of exceptions and issues. Must be completed by a member of management.
- Minimum high school education or equivalent required
- Minimum 18 years old
- Minimum of six months cash handling and customer service experience
- Team leader experience preferred, but not required
- Strong verbal and written communication skills specifically with customers, sales leadership team and associates
- Demonstrated collaborative skills and ability to work well within a team
- Demonstrated excellent time management, organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to receive feedback and take action when appropriate
- Available to work a flexible schedule to include evenings, weekends and holidays
- Able to stand and move about for extended periods of time with only short rest breaks; reach, bend, stoop, etc. to handle products
- Ability to handle multiple tasks while working in a fast‐paced and deadline‐oriented environment
- Ability to perform all Essential Job Functions
- Proficient use of technology