This position will maintain, support and enhance the abilities of the National Cancer Database (NCDB) to share information in an accurate and flexible manner with its constituent clinicians and cancer programs. In addition, it will also work closely with NCDB and CoC staff to automate, convert and expand existing data warehouse web applications into more robust platforms, allowing for both reliable and agile management of data. This includes software programs used to process the data submitted by 1500 hospitals into the database, ongoing maintenance, support and optimization of these programs and their databases. The Senior Database Developer will provide database support to NCDB development team, any external vendors and make recommendations to enhance the NCDB data processing architecture.
This exempt position will report to the Manager of Information Technology, National Cancer Data Base in the Division of Cancer.
- Develop, implement and support existing and additional data warehouse tools to enhance data collection and information dissemination within a network of 1500 CoC-accredited hospitals nation-wide.
- Support, update and contribute to ongoing data warehouse processing efforts, including annual updates of the Analytic Data Warehouse (ADW), backend data processing, rules engine support, datamart development and support of external vendor development.
- Develop meaningful, easy-to-understand, web-based reports and comparison tools.
- Implement tools created from the Analytic Data Warehouse.
- Provide troubleshooting and debugging support when issues arise with software.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is preferred but not required.
- Minimum 4-7 years of experience with database design, development and analysis (Oracle, PL/SQL, or SQL Server).
- Minimum 5 years of Java application development experience on J2EE preferably with an emphasis on developing and utilizing web services of Java Application Servers (JBoss, JRun, Oracle AS, JMS, Drools) as well as Apache Camel architecture.
- Experience in performing problem resolution and root cause analysis along with recommending and implementing preventive techniques required.
- Experience with building a GUI, ColdFusion development experience is a plus.
- Experience with hospital or healthcare data analytics is preferred.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Firm understanding of relational database structure and processes.
- Strong analytical skills to identify and solve problems.
- Strong knowledge of and keen interest learning and adapting emerging tools and technologies in the industry.
- Ability to effectively apply a broad range of professional concepts and methods in moderately complex and diverse circumstances.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) necessary to effectively interact with all levels of organization.
- Display high level of energy and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with all division teams and management.
Physical/Work Environment: Fast paced with significant people interaction. No lifting over 20 pounds, minimal reaching bending and stooping. Performs work in a normal office environment with long hours in front of the computer.
The American College of Surgeons is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com or call (312) 202-5000 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
The American College of Surgeons will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans,
and Individuals with Disabilities