ABOUT THE JOB
The Product & Technology Department of the ACLU's National office in New York, NY seeks applications for the full-time position of Senior Software Engineer to help lead its efforts to create public-facing products in support of the organization's mission. Product & Technology is a multidisciplinary department working with stakeholder groups across the organization to build products that reach programmatic goals and support the advocacy, fundraising, communications, and programmatic needs of the nationwide organization. This role will provide technical leadership and hands-on management of several engineers who work within cross-functional product teams.
The Senior Software Engineer will be responsible for:
- Hands-on management for a small team of engineers to maximize the delivery of product and tools by promoting a robust and consistent engineering culture and by driving adoption and expertise on modern technical stacks
- Serving as a technical lead on multiple projects; evaluating and selecting tools and frameworks for web and mobile applications
- Working with other engineers and product designers to create and maintain a toolbox of code libraries, micro-services, page templates, and interaction patterns that support long-!running apps, but can also be quickly remixed in response to current events
- Helping to refine the workflow for designing, writing, reviewing, testing, and deploying systems that promote intra- and inter- team communication and enable reusability, flexibility, and frequent iteration
- Collaborating with engineers across the Product & Technology department to integrate with existing content management and data systems
- Working with stakeholders to tease out goals and product requirements through a user-centric mindset, proposing alternate and multi!step solutions, and balancing development speed and scope
- Providing a knowledgeable viewpoint on development discussions and decisions, while remaining open-minded to new technologies and approaches
- Educating members inside and outside of the team to improve understanding of current industry-standard development practices and technologies
- Demonstrating a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
- Significant experience with complex web applications in a production environment
- Significant experience in an engineering leadership role, providing mentorship, professional support, and promoting engineering best practices across a team
- Experience with one or more server-side languages and frameworks, including Node.js with Express, Flask or Django with Python, Go, and Ruby on Rails
- Understanding of how to deploy and manage applications and services in a cloud environment such as AWS/Azure/GCE, as well as managed platforms like Netlify, Heroku, Docker-based containerization, and CDNs (Fastly, Cloudfront, etc.)
- Experience working with and integrating data of varying formats and quality, including API integrations, SQL, CSV/JSON processing and ETL, spiky workloads and large volumes of data, geospatial data with PostGIS or similar, and semi-structured sources like web scraping
- Experience with continuous integration and testing, and DevOps practices including configuration management, monitoring and logging, security, privacy, and auto-scaling
- Awareness of mobile and desktop development trade offs, along with a commitment to web accessibility and progressive enhancement
- An "open by default" stance preferred, demonstrated by a track record of developing and releasing software in public with open licenses and open data sets, in collaboration with other aligned organizations and software communities
- Demonstrated interest in the mission and goals of the ACLU
ABOUT THE ACLU
For almost 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it's ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The Department of Education has determined that employment in this position at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail email@example.com ( firstname.lastname@example.org ). If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.