ABOUT THE JOB
The ACLU seeks a full-time position of Director, Supporter Marketing in the Development Department of the ACLU's National office in New York, NY.
The ACLU's passionate community of donors and activists is stronger than ever. The mission of the ACLU's Development Department is to unlock the full potential of donors and the ACLU as partners in the creation of a more perfect union. We pursue our mission by building long-term donor relationships and organizational partnerships, by demonstrating impact in response to threats, by engaging donors how they wish to engage, by taking interest in our donors and facilitating personal action, by being accountable stewards of their funds, and by asking donors to consider giving the ACLU their full support.
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Director, Supporter Marketing will set the vision and oversee the creative development and execution of marketing campaigns, strategies and tactics that acquire new and engage existing supporters and donors. The Director is responsible for building our base of supporters (potential donors) and active donors in order to raise more than $150 million in annual c3 and c4 revenue from 1.6 million members - including over 250,000 sustainers - who give gifts of $1 to $99,999.
- Lead the creation and refinement of the organization's case for support/value proposition for supporters, potential donors and donors
- Develop and implement short- and long-range goals and strategies to diversify, expand and retain the ACLU's annual funding base, with a special emphasis on monthly donors
- Drive effective and efficient art, design and production partnerships
- Collaborate across the organization to develop rapid-response and long-range content strategy for nationwide donor and supporter audiences
- Supervise and motivate a team of more than 15 staff, providing vision, guidance, support, and opportunities for growth
Areas of Focus
- Acquiring & converting
- Build the ACLU's membership base, with an emphasis on monthly donors, by acquiring new supporters, members and donors through all marketing channels including mail, canvassing, telemarketing, texting, digital and new initiatives.
- Renewing, retaining & upgrading
- Create supporter and donor journeys across all channels for existing monthly, low dollar, mid-level and marketing-responsive major donors - who give both C4 and C3 donations - to deepen their engagement with the ACLU, and inspire them to renew and upgrade their support
- Develop creative strategies to educate, engage and inspire current and prospective donors
- Expand third-party giving and explore new platforms
- Maximize, manage, and streamline existing and new giving vehicles
- Identify and focus on platforms and systems with the most income potential
- Create experiences to engage supporters and donors through these platforms
- Create and test messaging frameworks that successfully communicate the ACLU's role in advancing civil liberties for supporters, potential donors, and existing donors
- Develop overall expense and revenue budgets and track performance towards fundraising goals
- Collaborate with marketing vendors and the ACLU's data analytics team to create metrics and reports to better understand and improve program performance
- Implement management best practices including weekly or bi-weekly check-ins with each team member, weekly or bi-weekly unit meetings, feedback opportunities, and empowering staff to be more effective and focused
- Provide new and challenging opportunities to help staff develop skills and grow
- Creative and visionary leadership with experience looking for new answers to existing questions, seeking out new opportunities, and building programs
- Passion for hiring, building, mentoring, and motivating a strong, adaptable, and effective team
- A demonstrated record of success with fundraising and marketing
- An organized goal-setter, establishing data-driven benchmarks, and reviewing progress toward those goals regularly
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
- An understanding of adopting and implementing omni-channel fundraising and marketing tools within a complex multi-stakeholder organization
- Experience with innovative tactics to build on past successes and develop new and creative approaches
ABOUT THE ACLU
For almost 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it's ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
The Department of Education has determined that employment in this position at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail email@example.com ( firstname.lastname@example.org ). If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.