Position Summary: The Communications Manager is responsible for creating and implementing communications and public relations programming, as well as supporting the Director, Communications. The position will be responsible for developing and executing the following: press releases, announcements, public relations outreach and follow-up, media monitoring and reporting; legislative collateral and messaging, written communications, social media content identification and content development. This position serves as the lead contact for the public relations and communications efforts for the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) Multi-Specialty Portfolio Program, ABMS Visiting Scholars Program and the State Medical Society strategy, serving as a liaison with the Marketing Communications team on these core initiatives. Must be knowledgeable about and able to use media targeting and distribution services, and be able to create clear, crisp communication messaging. Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- Develop communication messaging and related content in the form of press releases, editorials, article, blogs, pitch letters, FAQs and C-suite and legislative/policy communications.
- Help with creation of media interview briefing documents and talking points.
- Edit and proof department and ABMS staff communications.
- Lead, manage and direct the Portfolio Program communications efforts, including new sponsor onboarding, press release creation, bimonthly newsletter copy development editing, approvals and distribution; serving as the program lead and liaison with the Portfolio Program and Marketing Communications teams.
- Serve as the lead project manager for the ABMS Visiting Scholars and State Medical Society strategic communications programs including content development, serving as the liaison with the ABMS Visiting Scholar, Public Policy and Marketing Communications teams.
- Assist in the development of communications and public relations content for consumer audiences working with consumer and "trade" outlets to obtain coverage and promote ABMS to these critical audiences on an ongoing basis.
- Assist in the development of the ABMS social media strategy, direction and implementation.
- Help with daily traditional and social media monitoring and weekly reports.
- Provide media relations support and serve as back-up for media inquiries.
- Write, edit and distribute articles and related communications content.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Strong writing and editing skills with expertise in AP style.
- Proven message development skills.
- Experience in serving as an internal account service and project manager for communications initiatives, working across teams and disciplines.
- Working knowledge of social media including platform usage, messaging development and posting, appropriate response strategy, and ad monitoring.
- Self-directed, detail oriented, flexible and dependable.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and shift priorities as needed.
- Strong public relations and corporate communications background.
- An ability to exercise a high level of professionalism, judgment, discretion, and confidentiality, particularly regarding information about individual diplomates.
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Effective interpersonal skills, and an ability to collaborate and build partnerships with other departments in support of shared objectives.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English, Mass Communications, and/or Public Relations.
- Not required, but considered a plus - master's degree in Public Relations, Journalism, English, or Mass Communications.
- 5-10 years public relations and/or corporate communications experience.
- Agency, in-house hospital/health system, or medical specialty society experience preferred.
- Health care background and knowledge necessary.
- Not required but considered a plus - grass root advocacy and legislation background and experience.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Type: Full-time
- in-house hospital/health system: 1 year (Preferred)
- grassroot advocacy and legislation: 1 year (Preferred)
- medical specialty society: 1 year (Preferred)
- agency: 1 year (Preferred)
- corporate communications: 5 years (Required)
- public relations: 5 years (Required)