Director of Admissions
The American Baptist Seminary of the West (ABSW) was established in 1871 by the American Baptist Churches USA. The seminary is a founding member of the Graduate Theological Union (GTU), a consortium that works in partnership with and sits adjacent to the University of California at Berkeley. Located in one of the most exciting educational communities in the nation, ABSW is accredited by the Association of Theological Schools (ATS) as a graduate level institution that prepares women and men for the challenges of ministry in the 21 st century.
The Director of Admissions reports to the VP of Academics and works in partnership with the Office of Development.
The Director of Admissions plays a key leadership role in the life of the seminary overseeing the recruitment and enrollment of all degree and certificate students. The Director is responsible for building an effective promotional and marketing operation that positions the school for maximum exposure and meets enrollment objectives. Because of this the Director participates in the shaping and delivery of the online and print communications as well as larger brand and marketing strategies of the school.
Reports to: Academic Dean
- Embraces the mission and vision of American Baptist Seminary of the West (ABSW) and serves as one of the school's leading ambassadors
- Implements policies within the context of the institution's mission and in compliance with federal and state regulations (FERPA, Solomon Amendment, EUGDR, etc.).
- Develops and executes the school's overall strategy for recruitment and admissions, including annual objectives for the number and variety of recruits
- Researches and understands the markets and prospect profiles for theological education
- Maintains existing markets and develops new ones
- Develops and maintains a network of volunteers and other sources
- Annually designs, promotes and creatively participates in on- and off-campus recruitment events, with particular attention to campus visits by prospects and exhibits at denominational and target-audience related events
- Regular assessment of success in these efforts and the preparation of reports for school leadership
- Develops and maintains an effective recruitment database
- Plays a key role in the development and administration of public and private financial aid resources
- Works with Financial Aid Committee to develop strategic institutional aid awarding plans
- Serves as liaison between third-party federal financial aid servicer and ABSW (both for student questions and concerns, and communication with servicer regarding ABSW's awarding policies and implementation)
- Works with international applicants on financial and related visa issues
- Works with the President and VP for Advancement in the development of branded communications and recruitment materials, in print, audio-visual, and online formats, and their effective use in cross-marketing efforts
- Develops a commanding web-based strategy and ongoing presence that fully leverages social media and contemporary digital technology
- Supports community life and develops strong relationships with students, faculty, staff and trustees through regular participation and leadership of on-campus programs
Preferred Skills and Characteristics:
- Graduate degree, ideally from a theological school
- Strong understanding of church life, the ministry and the call to a life of service
- 3-5 years' experience in an academic recruitment office or comparable marketing setting
- Strong experience in database management (Populi or similar DB)
- Must be entrepreneurial and outgoing (approachable, sense of humor, etc.)
- Proven record of setting goals and accomplishing them, detail-oriented
- Sophisticated understanding of social media
- Willing to travel overnight as up to 35% of job duties may require (at least 7-9 times a year)
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three names of reference to Rev. Carolyn Matthews at (510) 841-1905 x246.
Applications will be accepted through May 17, 2019 or until the position is filled.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $62,000.00 to $65,000.00 /year
- Admissions: 1 year (Preferred)
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Flexible schedules