You are meeting planning whiz, who exudes the highest level of member service, both in mentality and delivery. You are known for your initiative, follow through and consistently delivering quality work while present in a growth mindset. You are team-focused, innovative, and known as a positive influence on those around you. Your cooperative, supportive, “can do” mindset serves you well as a staff liaison to committees. You love to roll up your sleeves and get the job done. You have the innate ability to work independently and responsibly, prioritize, exercise good, independent judgment and initiative and respond quickly to changing priorities.
If this sounds like you, read on!
At the direction of the Course Manager, the Course Specialist coordinates educational programs focusing on all aspects of meeting planning, marketing, evaluation, and other elements in compliance with ACCME guidelines. Represents AAOS for onsite program management ensuring program presentation meets participant expectations and observance of the Academy’s policies and procedures. Makes assignments of the day-to-day course planning activities to the education department assistant (and administrative assistant, as appropriate), as well as any temporary help.
At the direction of the CME Course Chair and Course Manager coordinate the annual course curriculum, program design, and course content with emphasis on problem/case-based learning and interactive educational methodologies. This is accomplished by compiling executive summaries, reviewing past course evaluations, reviewing program proposals, participating in conference calls, and recommending changes to the course directors and/or course chair to ensure continuous educational quality improvements and program development. In addition, work with Instructional Designer to enhance courses as required.
Serves as a departmental resource.
At the direction of the Course Manager, develop RFPs, evaluate proposals, negotiate, and contract for all audio/visual equipment and labor requirements.
Ensure compliance with ACCME Standards/Essentials and Academy policies and procedures with emphasis in the following areas: bias and commercialism, copyright issues, and disclosure information.
Support the Course Manager in developing annual course budgets and rolling monthly projections for department director’s approval. Update Prophix as needed.
Works with the marketing department on development and approval of promotional materials for the courses to include: CME Calendar, course brochure and other marketing flyers, faxes, emails, and letters.
Course Planning - Pre, On-Site, Post
- Quarterly research possible course conflicts to aid in the scheduling of future CME courses.
- Prepare project briefs/charter as required. Work with Instructional Designer throughout development stages.
- Coordinate with Business Development staff on the development of grant proposals.
- Work with course directors and faculty to identify potential granting opportunities for CME courses.
- Provide Business Development with the appropriate information (budgetary, schedule, grant proposal with needs information) to solicit industry funding for CME courses. Follow up as appropriate. Ensure we meet organizational and ACCME requirements.
- Maintain special course websites as assigned. Posts the CME courses on the online calendar as well as detailed course information on the AAOS website. Maintain course web pages through member database and Ektron/EpiServer platform. Provide ongoing proofing to ensure consistency of course information posted on the AAOS website. Enter all course details in Personify to activate course and open for registration including registration fee categories, course description and objectives, faculty, and CME information.
- Monitor attrition clauses (i.e. - room block, catering, meeting space) to avoid/reduce financial liability with the hotel.
- Coordinate all course site meeting room set-ups including off-site and OLC requirements.
- Ensure Logistics team executes catering for food functions and determines function guarantees.
- Arranges VIP housing, faculty dinners, faculty gifts, special transportation and any special events or entertainment.
- At the direction of the Course Manager:
- Oversee the preparation of the course materials and evaluations.
- Collaborate with Online Learning staff to include webcast/Saturday Morning Live components in course, if applicable.
- As appropriate, work with orthopaedic companies to plan spotlight sessions.
- Coordinates program within course budget and prepares purchase orders for Sr. Manager approval, as required.
- Coordinates development of materials for web promotion, registration packets, supplies, signage and packing.
- Performs site inspections as required.
- Coordinates distribution of material (i.e. –LMS, OVT) to enhance program content to deliver a seamless member experience.
- Maintains appropriate communication with course directors, faculty, OLC colleagues, and other necessary personnel to ensure all aspects of course completion.
- Represents the Academy on-site at CME courses and problem solves to ensure smooth implementation and observance of the Academy’s policies and procedures.
- At the direction of the Course Manager, responsible for on-site registration, hotel occupancy and AAOS room pick-up documentation, reviewing course bills, facilitation of faculty dinners and other events, supervising temporary personnel and assistants, and serving as liaison with educational vendors and exhibitors.
- Supervise audiovisual set-up, room set-up, catering, and exhibits. Includes utilizing on-site checklists.
- Resolve inaccuracies in hotel master account and related vendor invoices and faculty expense vouchers.
- Prepare thank you letters to course directors, hotel contact, and other hired staff (as needed).
- Coordinates post course final documentation to include:
- Compiling results from course evaluations.
- Oversees registration updates (recording no-shows and on-site registrants) and CME credit information for posting to member transcript files.
- Prepare the executive summary for assigned courses using the results from the evaluation to be approved by the Course Manager. (needs assessment for future courses)
- Coordinates with the Instructional Designer on post-course follow-up as assigned.
- Course Site Process and Contract Coordination:
- Prepare program specs (off site and OLC).
- Communicate program specifications to Logistics staff.
- Track internal contract review process for skills facility agreements; respond to issues raised in review process as necessary.
- Send/mail final signed agreement to vendor. Distribute copies in-house according to protocol.
Approximately 15 days per year
- Undergraduate degree with experience in meeting planning and science and/or medical terminology
- 2 - 5 years meeting planning and/or association experience.
- 3-5 years of business experience with 2 years’ experience in meeting planning, marketing, committee governance, and/or educational program development
- 2-5 years’ experience with ACCME guidelines
- Excellent communication (both written and oral), organizational, human relations and computer skills. Experience communicating within an organization – top to bottom – and with outside partners, clients, vendors, and other business associates. Extraordinary time management skills, capable of anticipating competing demands and prioritizing tasks and projects accordingly. Provide timely resolution of inquiries. Foster open, frank communication and dialogue.
- Customer service oriented, taking personal responsibility for every interaction and handling situations professionally. Capable of effectively resolving conflicts.
- 2-3 years’ experience working in a team/matrix environment. Team-focused mentality, presenting innovative ideas to the group that will improve operations, identify efficiencies and/or potential cost savings. Ready and willing to offer assistance, resources, and support to co-workers. Be a positive contributor to team morale.
- Takes initiative and can be depended upon to follow through on all responsibilities, consistently delivering quality work.
- Capable of exercising judgement in executing tasks and responsibilities commensurate with authority, escalating issues appropriately before something becomes a problem. Accept responsibility for decisions.
- Current knowledge of adult learning theory and practices and emerging technologies for education delivery to health care professionals required
- Experience in a medical environment
- Association experience
- Proficient computer/software skills, including MS Office, Internet search/research practices, and content management software.
- 2 years of experience in a support role with proven communications and human relations skills and progressive levels of responsibility.
If this describes YOU, please apply by sharing the following:
- Clearly communicate why you are the ideal candidate for this role, providing specific examples and experiences as proof points.
- Attach your resume, cover letter, salary requirements and any additional materials that support your application.