- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- 10+ years in developing software
- 5+ years in engineering people management position
- Candidates must have a strong computer science background.
- Solid communication skills and ability to work well in a team are critical.
- Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment.
Amazon's NoSQL services such as DynamoDB and ElastiCache are massive at-scale services that are powering some of the top companies in the world. At Amazon, we build some of the largest distributed systems in the world and we're looking for top talent to help not only deliver the next top tier service but also to help grow the business at the same time.
We're on the lookout for a leader who is passionate about caching systems, distributed systems and people. A rare combination. In this position, you will be leading the engineering team behind a new caching service for AWS and as a result we'll need you to help not only help lead the team in making the right technical decisions but also partnering with product management to ensure that we're making the right calls for the business at the same time.
You will own the design, development, testing and deployment of these database services. You will draw from a deep and broad technical expertise to mentor engineers, complete hands-on technical work and provide leadership on complex technical issues.
You will manage a team of engineers and be responsible for delivering some of our most strategic technical projects, deliver large scalable systems, design new software systems at the cutting edge of distributed database technology and have a significant bottom-line impact on our business and competitive position.
As a Senior Manager of Software Development in AWS, you will part of the larger technical leadership community that forms the backbone of the company, plays a critical role in the broad business planning, working closely with senior executives, influences our long-term technical and business strategy, helps us hire talented team of engineers and ultimately enables us to deliver innovative new solutions rapidly.
This position within Database Services team represents a unique and rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor within a fast growing business and help shape the technology, product and the business. A successful candidate will bring deep technical and software expertise, strong business acumen and judgment, an ability to define visionary, ground breaking products, ability to hire and lead a team, desire to have an industry wide impact and ability to work within a fast moving, startup environment in a large company to rapidly deliver services that have a broad business impact.
- Hire, mentor and lead a database software development team.
- Lead design, implementation, and deployment of successful highly distributed, large scale services.
- Responsible for identifying, commissioning and leading work on complex, large-scale systems that have a major impact on the entire company.
- Serve as a lead on demanding, multi-team, cross-functional projects.
- Actively participate in hiring talented people and assist in the career development of others both on and outside your team, mentoring individuals and helping other managers guide the career growth of their team members.
- Play a critical role in the broad business planning, working closely with senior executives to develop business targets and resource requirements. Help form long-term technical and business strategy and goals.
- Demonstrate high levels of creativity and right judgments, most of the time.
- Understand business context to decisions made within and across groups.
- Maintain a current understanding of industry and technology trends.
- Contribute to Amazon's Intellectual Property through patents and/or external publications.